Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
On 4 wheels
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on whether I should be looking to get a car or a bike. I live in Canada so it snows for half a year.

I already have an old '95 Grand Prix that is still going strong. I am going to College and I need a mode of transportation that is cheap on gas since I am running a tight budget.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Bikes are toys for 95% of the population...

That is all...

·
raise
171 Posts
Do you have a good place to store the bike in the off season. And will you be working close to that place in the summer ? If so then you should have a bike plus a car. You can pick up a good used bike for between 800 to 1500 . If you are getting 50 mpg compared to 25 mpg the difference in fuel consumption could pay for the bike. Those Grand Ams suck gas don't they ?

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Tell ya what I'd do.

First off, what can you get for your car if you were to sell it? You say it's in good condition and drives fine right? Well if its only gas you are worried about, lighten up on the foot a little and your gas mileage will improve....and keep it until all said and done and you have the money to buy a bike and or car once you are done with college.

Now, the idea that I would rather do if you can afford it is to forget about a bike for now...most have said this. I would sell your car, especially if it's paid for already and go and buy a late 90's civic or something similar. Civic's last forever, get 35-40mpg and cost nothing if they are a few years old. If you hunt long enough, you should still find one that is low on miles...below 100k. But if it's not, I still wouldn't worry about it. I'd do this because if you get enough money for the GrandPrix, you should be able to buy the civic out right, paid for, title in hand. Gas mileage will double...and you will save money on gas, insurance and all that shit.
When graduated, keep it, sell it do whatever and then buy your bike. Money will be a little less tight hopefully.

Just my ideas.

·
Cant turn right king
1,832 Posts
im homeless... i blame the motorcycle... took every penny i had...

its kinda like getting married... except you skip straight to the divorce part (she takes all your money)... and you never hate her... and you can ride her whenever you want... plus you and her get better with age.

who needs women....

·
Know Your Role!!
1,032 Posts
car

·
Driving the bus to hell
1,135 Posts
get a used bike and a used sled. you have a car that runs so why not???

·
Hi, I'm a PC
1,106 Posts
If you decide to get a motorcycle...make sure reliability and low maintenance is what you are looking for. Yea motorcycling can be expensive but I think thats only true if you get a bike that is high maintenance. Get a CB750 where all you have to do is change the oil and the tires from time to time. Then you wont mind so much if it gets a bit dirty/muddy too.

·
Twisties 32 miles 2.5 mi away
926 Posts
If I was back in college and on a tight budget, I would have a 250 ninja to ride during the warm weather months. Fun, good for getting to and from and around campus, and great gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.