Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody I am back again with a problem with my 02 I forgot to put it back in the garage last night so it's sat in a little bit of rain wondering if maybe that caused it. Anyways so I went for a ride this morning. And I was only riding for about 5 to 10 minutes and the bike lost all power so I pull it over and you know I'm trying to dump the clutch and start it as I'm riding and it's not working. So once I pulled over I saw that there were diagnostic codes 12 and 15 on the tachometer. I've been trying to look in my manual to find the meaning of these codes I'm having some trouble. If there is anybody who has had the situation I guarantee their has and anybody figure out the cause of what it may be please let me know. or anything for me to check I am all ears sorry for the lack of punctuation this is voice talk thanks for all the help any questions just ask I will be on here periodically I really want to get my baby fixed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found out it is throttle position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. My question is should i just go ahead and replace them once I verify there is nothing wrong with the harnesses? The diagnostics seem to be pretty accurate, with a car or truck a scanner doesn't really give you the exact issue normally just underlying issues that cause the trouble code at least a good 60 percent the time. What I'm asking is should there be anything else I should be looking for that could cause this other then the obvious? Thanks for any and all help guys....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really doubt both sensors went bad at once. There's a procedure in the service manual on how to check both. Do you have the manual?

Yes I agree with you that's why I was wondering if maybe one could cause the other.I have to wait until my son goes down to be able to test the resistance and voltage levels of the sensors. As soon as I do that I will get back to you guys which one do you think I should check first or which one would be easier to check first? Or do I have to lift the tank to access both sensors? I'm definitely going to make sure I don't let it get rained on anymore.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,002 Posts
The crank trigger and the tps are both relatively accessible. The tps is on the throttle bodies and the crank position sensor is at the bottom of the case on the brake side of the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anybody help me out and pull up a link for a crank position sensor for a 02 model I'm extremely confused. I keep seeing 2 different parts online. What i see is they don't actually sell a CPS on yamaha parts house. I'm pretty sure my crank sensor is bad. Is the pick up coil the same thing as the cps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You sure? I'll poke around. I think the newer part number supersedes the older part number. You could confirm by checking on partzilla.

Edit; you are correct. That's crazy.
It's very crazy cause Eventually their going to be very hard to find lol I'm glad you were able to confirm beause it was causing me to feel stupid for a second.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I tested the cps it tested at 300 ohms so v according to the manual it is in spec 248-373 ohms
But that doesn't explain my crank but no start condition, it is a intermittent crank like a dead battery but it does crank over. I also tested the tps and it was out of spec for all the tests..... the manual says it should start with a failed tps. I'm so so confused. Adter all that i decided to put it all back together to check for shuts and giggles, and it shows no codes now SMDH. I did have a broken wire coming from the relay that I fixed but i don't see how that could reset the diag. Charging the battery now cause it is very low newer battery only couple months old.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I'm so confused right now so all I did was fix the broken wire under the seat. hook everything back up and she fired right up no codes. I guess I'll let it run and get warm to operating temp and make sure v that I have tps and not stuck partial throttle or etc. When it fired up I just barely winded the throttle and it was responsive as always...... I'm baffled. Do you think when it was caught in the heavy rain that night something got wet and now that it's dry it is good. Or my broken battery?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts