Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought those of you who live in more reasonable areas than NYC might like to know!

I have been shopping for a good value in a set of sport touring tires for my 2012 bike, having tried Michelins, Metzelers, Dunlops and Contis in the past. As you may know, Cycle Gear will mount and balance any tire at their stores for $25 each and once in a while for free - if you bring in your wheels. Checking around, I just found another dealer who will also mount and balance for $25 if you bring them the wheels.

But unfortunately, I don't have a front stand or the tools to remove my front wheel. So I just called my friendly local service shop to ask if he could help - a shop I have spent lots of money in during years past on a Ducati 1098 and a BMW S1000RR.

His answer?

$100 PER WHEEL (!) IF I BRING HIM THE WHEELS, while reminding me his "normal" labor rate is $200 an hour?!

For an 8 hour day, that would be $416,000 of revenue per mechanic per year in his shop.

Maybe I should quit my career in investment management to mount tires and then at least I could install my own?

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,631 Posts
I've got spoons and I use a floor jack under my headers. I have access to the tire machine at the shop, but i elect to use spoons.

100 per is extreme. Most shops around here charge between 40/70$ to pull the rim, put the rubber on, balance and re mount.

When I was running q4's I changed the rear tire with my oil. That would have gotten expensive quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got spoons and I use a floor jack under my headers. I have access to the tire machine at the shop, but i elect to use spoons.

100 per is extreme. Most shops around here charge between 40/70$ to pull the rim, put the rubber on, balance and re mount.

When I was running q4's I changed the rear tire with my oil. That would have gotten expensive quick.
Re "expensive quick" - yes - and again, this clown was asking $100 per wheel to mount tires I supply and only if I removed the wheels myself and brought them to him! I can't imagine what he would charge to supply tires, remove wheels and mount the tires but in his business model that would be good for about $1000 for 30 minutes work. It drives me nuts.

Re jacks - so you can just life up an R1 by putting a jack underneath the headers - good to know but would have made me nervous!

But probably a better idea than buying yet another stand / lift for $100 and easier to find on Craigslist or Ebay.

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,631 Posts
Re "expensive quick" - yes - and again, this clown was asking $100 per wheel to mount tires I supply and only if I removed the wheels myself and brought them to him! I can't imagine what he would charge to supply tires, remove wheels and mount the tires but in his business model that would be good for about $1000 for 30 minutes work. It drives me nuts.

Re jacks - so you can just life up an R1 by putting a jack underneath the headers - good to know but would have made me nervous!

But probably a better idea than buying yet another stand / lift for $100 and easier to find on Craigslist or Ebay.
I can on my 08. The cup on my floor jack cradles the exup perfectly.

Have a look at the abba sky lift. Cost you about the same as a front and rear stand combo, and a lot more versatile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts