Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

bike to bike communicators

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chadthaman 
#1 ·
What is the best bike to bike communication product? Are chatterboxes worth the money? Is it easier and/or cheaper to just get a walkie-talkie with an earpiece and mic?

:beer

#3 ·
I have a scala G4 and absolutely love it. I use it mostly for music and bike2bike communications but it does more and it is the highest class of bluetooth of the 3 levels, meaning that its the strongest. I also use it sometimes to make or answer calls, but thats rare. I was going 60-70 when I made a test call to the wife. she didnt even know I was on the bike. If I go over 70mph, wind noise in helmet takes over on phone calls, but not music.

I seen they have a new version coming out thats easier to pair together and allows for more users on your connection. There is also a Q2 but it is more limited on range and how many users at one time.

#4 ·
Also I tried a portable radio with a throat mic on the bike years ago, it didn't work very well.

The chatterbox's was what I was going to go with but for the price and the reviews I didn't think it was worth it. During my research I came across Scala Rider, and decided to go with it. That was a year or two ago, and I still use it almost every single time I ride the bike.

#6 ·
scala will not damage your helmet, it mounts with a clamp set up. some helmets are easier to fit than others. Until recently I had a shoei xr1100 and it fits, also fitted an xr1000. Also as a point of interest, with some phones you can use noise isolating headphones at the same time as the scala, audio through the headphones but can still use the scala's control features and its mic, best of both worlds. I know this is the case with iphones but doesn't work with Nokia. nokia will use the hanset mic by default if you have headphones plugged in. All that said, if you want good bike to bike range you should get a UHF portable radio.

#7 ·
No damage at all like previously stated. I did have to cut a quarter size hole in my helmet liner to put the speakers exactly where I wanted them. It's so comfortable and plays as loud or as quiet as I want. Great for group riding. I'll never ride in a group without it again. The mount screws up against the side of the helmet. No mod necessary. Speakers are Velcro. Very simple.

Attachments

#8 ·
Can't speak for chatterbox but the scala G4 has two ways, either double sided tape or a clamp style setup. They also have either a wired mic or a boom mic. I took my Shoei apart and cut the speakers & mic into the styrofoam behind the cloth material. It looks as if it was made into the helmet.

The boom mic is for half helmets and the wired mic is for full face.

Scala also has a G9 avaliable in June. The cheapest I found a set was 410.00. The average was closer to 500.00 for the pair. I split a powerset of G4's with a friend for 350.00 total, so I paid 175.00 for mine.

#12 ·
good point on the previous models being compatable with the scala Q2,G4,&G9. Keep in mind the cheaper Q2 will not transmit the distance the G4 will, meaning the guy with the Q2 can still hear the G4s that are out of his range, but he can't talk back.

Not likely that will happen when riding as a group, and the Q2 is a affordable alternative if u really dont want to spend that much on the other models. i'm thinking about getting a new G9 and putting the G4 on my 6yoa daughters helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.