Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· faster!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving on the freeway I noticed two motorcycles in my rearview mirror. They were weaving in and out of traffic at a fairly good pace. As they passed me I thought to myself, "those idiots better slow down before they get into trouble." and sure enough, not even 10 seconds later one of them went down. I stopped to make sure he was alright. From what I saw it looked as though him and his buddy cut across at the last second to get off on this exit, came in too hot and he grabbed a handful of brake in a panic, forcing him over the curb and into the gravel mound. From what he said a car cut him off and there was nothing he could do. I wasnt on the bike so I'm not gonna say he was lying (or rather getting a story straight for a chp) but from my angle I didnt see a car anywhere near him. They seemed like pretty cool guys and Im glad they are ok but please, Ride Safe Everyone.

1st pic shows the bike next to the gravel mound that stopped him
2nd pic shows the turn

· I EAT SKYLINES!
2,163 Posts
I pulled into a corner *way* too hot the other day when I had some ricer trying to play games with me...
Ended up putting my knee down or hitting the curb, same as your guys there did... Needless to say I was on my way to the beach and was wearing shorts.

Two lessons learnt:
1. *Always* wear your gear (i had a jacket and gloves etc on, just shorts) and
2. Watch out for them ricers!

· faster!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. *Always* wear your gear (i had a jacket and gloves etc on, just shorts) and
Yea always a good idea... they had on sweaters cause it was a brisk day but said they usually ride with shirts on. ripped a few holes in his sweater and had some rash on his wrists/hands...

· Registered
32 Posts
i came across a guy i knew vagely from work doing a nice canyon road- his bike was leaning against the gaurdrail facing uphill. i tried to get the full story from him and apparently he was comming down the hill way to fast for his skill level, failed to commit, locked up his brakes slammed into the guardrail 2x's and sliding down the hill before comming to a stop. he completly destroyed his front fork, front wheel, tank, pretty much the whole side of his what used to be a zx-10 . he had a pretty good limp going on and good sized knot on his leg- but im still counting him as lucky cause he wasnt wearing any safety gear besides his helmet- wearing shorts and a tshirt is not the way to go in any event. im going to invest in some good safetly equipment and eventually some good instruction when i get the chance.

· TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!
571 Posts
Alot of people don't like them but I like wearing my leathers if i'm really going to mess around. I was doing a wheelie at about 70 and trying to lock my front brake then my wrist locked and what can I say I went sliding for about 250 ft and had a whole in my forearm about half inch thick thats all thanks to my leathers.

· faster!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I have a tendancy to ride sometimes with just my work jacket or a sweater "if im just going down the street". but i know better and if I ever did go down it would rip too shreds providing no protection. its a bad habit and I need to break it...

Lake perris huh, cool do you ever go to any track days
Im usually too broke to do anything lol. I always wanted to try it out though, see if i get hooked like everyone else...

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
Same here i'm usually in street clothes but if i feel daring I put my leathers on .
The two crashes I've had, I was unable to predict that they were going to happen. :crash

I was wearing full leathers, helmet, gloves, boots. No injuries in the first crash, a minor arm injury in the second crash (due to me taking off a truck mirror with the arm).

WEAR YOUR GEAR when you ride. In my younger days I've ridden in shorts on a couple of occasions, tshirts, etc. Never again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.