Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I rode my bike home 2 days ago, started fine, ran fine. I got home, put it on my stands so I can clean my baby. It rained ALL the next day, so I didn't touch it at all. Well I took it off the stands today, and the damn bike wouldn't start. It would make a noise like it was trying to start, like almost rolling over, but no firing. I read a thread about an R/R connection that frys sometimes??? I honestly don't know which one it is. I have my seat off and looked at all the connections, they seem fine. Could my battery be dead, time for a new one?? I have just over 14,000 miles on her. Also, can I charge it with a 12V charger? Or does it have to be a special trickle charger? And help would be GREATLY appreciated. In the meantime, I get to drive my '03 SV650 :thumbup

PS - I got the bike started by jumping it with my truck (it was turned off), and my bike started right up. I drove it around for a while, came home, turned it off, and sure enough, the damn thing wouldn't start. I hope that helps some.

·
Go Fast!
97 Posts
Is it making a clicking sound like the relay is not working???
I had this exact problem only last week (98 R1).
I went out and bought a new battery - didn't fix the problem. I read up on the forums and after trying everything suggested but checking the connectors in the charge system I decided spray the connectors with WD-40 a few hours later it started first go with the old battery. Luckily the shop took back the battery.
Hope this is your problem - I plan to get some of that dilectric grease everyone raves about this will hopefully stop the problem reoccuring

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does make a rapid clicking sound. So which relay could this be? Dilectric grease, here I come!

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bumpidy

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMP!!! Anyone have ANY info.??

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I located the rapid clicking noise. It is coming from a relay with the letters M and B on it. The main positive lead from the battery goes into it. There is a thick black cable coming out. Also, there are 2 fuses, which are fine, and another connection. Alright well now that we know what relay I'm talking about. Why is it malfunctioning? What is it for? And most importantly, how do I fix it?....other than buying a new one.

·
Go Fast!
97 Posts
thats the one. I found the connector between the stator and the rectifier (under the tank/seat respectivley) to be my problem but I did clean up al the conectors (including the contacts in the relay.

Fixed my problem hope it fixes yours

·
Go Fast!
97 Posts
I forgot to mention that when I tested my relay (as per the manual I downloaded from this site) it was fine - the problenm seemed to be that not enough current was getting to it - hence the bad connector

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll check it out. I hope I get this straightened out by March 5th, cause I'm going to bike week. Argh...

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright well I fixed my problem. It turned out to be a low-juiced battery. I have it on a trickle charger now, so it should work once juiced up. I guess my powercommander, VFX taillight kit, and headlight bulbs are drawing too much power. Oh well. Thanks for your help! Daytona, here I come!

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, lol, my battery is fine. It's either the R/R or the stator coil that's the problem. My battery isn't getting charged at all!!! Right when I though I had it figured out....
(I dont think I'll be going to Daytona)

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright awesome, that'll help me out a lot!! Hopefully I can figure out what's wrong and order the part. Then get to Daytona!! Thanks a billion.

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I think I FINALLY know what's wrong. My stator coil is bad. I tested the output coming from it with a voltmeter. I'm getting around 83 volts from 2 leads, and nothing from the 3rd. That leads me to believe the thing is shot. Am I correct in my assumption? I'm ordering the part tomorrow morning and having it overnighted. Is this something I can fix myself, or should I have the shop do it?

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I realized I can't fix it myself. After draining my oil and pulling off my stator cover, you need a special tool, to take off the stator. I'm bringing my bike to the dealership so they can get the damn thing fixed. I tried, it's not working out. Oh well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts