Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Prefur My Fur
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of a license plate cover that with a flick of a toggle switch turns black to hide your license plate?

someone had mentioned it to me a long time ago, and now im hunting for one

I really hate people with cell phones on the freeway, or out in the country, and choose to call the cops just because your doing a wheelie.:blah

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I was thinking about that too as I was travelling in a car with my friends.. (nightly ride through town... playing in the snow with cars.. haha)...

I'll do some thinking to see whether it is possible to do. It should be.

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I saw a bike somewhere on the net that had a license plate that folded under the bike at a flip of a toggle. Ill see if I cant find the pictures for ya :D

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Heres what I found:

Here is the way it works. As you can see, I took a power antenna from a car & modified it's guts so it will only extend about a foot when it is switched on. The antenna protrudes out the back of the bike & pulls a string which pulls the bottom of the license plate up.
When the antenna is not protruding, there is a spring holding constant tension on the top of the license plate so it stays visible. All the parts to do this cost me under $20 & about 3 hours of time to install. I was kinda making it up as I went. With these photos, you could do it in about an hour.

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
And one more pic

·
Prefur My Fur
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He that looks good, my next project, let me know if anyone ever finds a blackout plate, or invents one...big bucks there!!

:cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
A friend of mine used a Ford power door lock solenoid and a hinge to do his 97 YZF 1000 . He also mentioned the black out idea in the works . I asked him to get me a lock solenoid to try on mine for now . I'll post when I get some pieces . Pretty cool the first time I seen it . Walking behind his bike and hearing click , click wondering WTF . Then see the plate moving , I like it !

Dave
2000 R1

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I "accidently" cleaned my plate with a Scotchbrite pad and too much force. It's a little dull now and doesn't reflect anymore.:rock

·
Registered
206 Posts
SmokeEater said:
I "accidently" cleaned my plate with a Scotchbrite pad and too much force. It's a little dull now and doesn't reflect anymore.:rock
In Ontario if they want to be mean this is a 110.00 ticket for plate not plainly visible . Here it is your responsibility to make sure it is visible . Go ahead ask me how I know :mad:

Dave

·
Prefur My Fur
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey i just found that too today, and bought it...couldn't help it, friend of mine lost his license this year for doing a wheelie, two people had called his plate in and he got a ticket....the cop never saw it, but because two seperate motorists called on him he got the ticket.....flick of a switch saves all that...... :rock

·
Prefur My Fur
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guy said he was shipping it out today, from his emails it sounds like he built the kit himself, sound slike he put a lot of work into it

il post pics in a couple of weeks

:p

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
milwaukee is geting bad people are doing that sort of thing all the time here., can't go down summer fest doing wheelies and stoppies man thats why don't extreme street ride in milwaukee cnty. any more or atleast not not like i used to a stoppie at every stop or so:not

·
Prefur My Fur
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
milwaukee cops aren't bad, its just the sheriffs on the freeway, and the small town cops like west allis,,,,,ooo i hate west allis....however this summer union grove is going to be sponsering jap bike nights on tues, that should be fun:crash

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
CLEAR COATING

I've heard that you can spray clear coat on a licences plate it i will cause it not to reflect light anymore:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
licensce plate mod---

Heres a simple way to hide your plate from fags on the highway who call the cops on their cells-I just ride my wheelies long and high enough for my plate to be hidden and/or illegible.I've had several instances where people actually tailgated me to my exit lol. A few weeks ago a cop off duty in an SUV flashed me a badge and told me she put a trace on my licensce plate #. I was like okay whatever-nothing ever happened to me that day-from what I heard from a friend who knows a cop-If the cop is not "on duty" you can;t get ticketed. Also, the cop ON DUTY has to visually see you or clock you stunting or speeding.:rock :rock

1 - 20 of 22 Posts