Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Interesting stuff and hope you get it all worked out Dylan :)

Sorry I don't have anything useful to add as chassis setup is a black art to me at the moment but I'll enjoy reading this and hopefully learning something if it goes further :thumbup

·
I built it ..And they came!!
1,212 Posts
I spoke to my mate Pete who had some adjustable dog bones which came from Promach.

Not sure how much but from what he says won't be anywhere near the $400 you were mentioning.
He did say that the unit has to be shortened by a small amount as they are made for a different model of bike but that they have used them on the RM Racing Yamahas without any problems.

Here is Promachs no; Uk code (0044)+ 1455213233

You need to ask for Mick Edwards. He is Promach.

Hope that helps a little.

I'm watching this with great interest as i will have to do all this myself when the weather get better. As an aside, when i mentioned to Pete what set-up i had on the bike he said straight away that i'd have to soften everything to get some feel back as there would be an overload of information coming back from the wheels.
I rode my bike to Holland April last year and the feeling was amazing. At that time I was running Galfer discs. The bike turned very quick but because the discs are quite heavy I still got a good feel. However, the brief ride i had with the Axis discs fitted gave me the feeling that there was nothing on the front of the bike and that suspension felt too stiff.
Just a touch of the bars made the front drop in and i was having the same feeling you were, over steer in slow corners. I hope to speak to the suspension guy at RM when he has time.

But i'm waiting for your results with much anticipation...:secret:

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
i can get a 2004 over-racing link shortened to suit the 02-03 if you get desperate dylan. my mate had one done for his 02 he has. it turned out perfect.
here's a pic of the 04 one i sent to bryan.

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
Sounds pretty complicated with all that is going on. Got some questions to help out.

When I made the switch to BSTs, I remember softening the compression so much to compensate for the lightness I got a little worried. But it was just constant fiddling that finally worked out. I also lost like 20 pounds of fat in 2 years and that also played a part too. But that's the joy/agony of having such adjustable features D!

For the bike wanting to keep falling or chasing the apex,
What is the rear tire you are using? a 190/55, 190/50 or a 180/55? When I went to a 190/55, this became a problem and also I think may be related to the nervous feeling you are having at the rear. I'd be careful about powering through this as your butt is receiving messages from the tire and you should listen to it. This is where we should start first as we need to make your bike work with the rubber.

What I've learned is that when you get performance parts like wheels or forks or shocks, they give you the benefits in added performance without having to make the adjustments with stock parts. For example, lighter wheels make turn in easier so I can keep stock geometry without having to go the old route of dropping forks down 5mm.

My riding is very similar to yours. Most of it is canyon and going/coming from there or the usual crusing downtown. So geometry wise I have kept a more even 50/50 front to back balance in weight and even increased the rake out to around 24.9 degrees. So I increased trail as well and also wheelbase. This makes the tight stuff a little more work but the sweepers, which is more fun, planted on rails.

From what you're describing, I would suggest the following.
1. Raise the forks to bring some stability back and stop the bike from its desire to keep falling.
2. Go back to stock settings and stock rear triangle.
3. Decrease compression, make the shock and forks more reactive to the lighter wheels.
4. Adjust rebound accordingly.

Old rule has been to start from the rear shock first and then adjust the front to match "feeling."

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
So here is an update & some new ti-
-I have replaced the Graves linkage to the stock dog bone,very different form factor on the two, actually radical.
-The swing arm angle is 11.8 stock.
-The rake angle factory is 24.0
-Triples dropped 7mm
-Old tires 180/55, New ordered 190/55
-Trail adjusted to 100mm versus 103mm. Based on the reading I have done
longer is better. Graves team used 100mm as I understand (have to believe they changed as needed... I will order new bungs so I can make a smaller adjustment then
+3/-3.
Shock (Ohlins PRX)
-Compression is 14 clicks out 24
-Rebound is 21 clicks out of 42
Forks (LE reworked with Ohlins internals)
-Compression is 13 clicks out of 28
-Rebound is 12 clicks out of 25

I lowered the Ohlins shock to the factory limit. I was slightly over to 4mm.
So the rear based on what I've caught up on, the reading, the comments, and old threads, this bike doesnt like the rear end lifted up to much. Some loved the Graves linkage, for supposed traction benefits. Well see. From here is I find this goofy, I'll put the Graves back and then adjust some setting so I have a baseline to judge off.

Thanks for the input. I've learned alot from reading. I understand the nuances of this bike WAY more. :)

New ti-:fire
Cush drive and sprocket hardware for BST's.
Wow, Racebolts.com Amazing service and pricing that no one else could touch. I looked. Actually huge difference
What impressed me is the bigger disparity in weight, and form factor, Very clean, and almost anemic in build. Some pics to show what I mean.

The nut and frilled washer are my project of me doing every thing ti from the bottom up. I love the drilled washers. The nut and washer are also @ 1/2 the weight.

The have connecting rods for my year bike wonder what that would do for weight, and then some free hp?:secret::)

Some pics-

Attachments

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
nice dylan!:thumbup .....and i bet fiveoh or was it eyespy that was about the only one to praise the graves link?
what you really need is an adjustable dogbone for reasons i have outlined.:hellobye

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Actually it was Eyespy I believe...

Some mentioned highsides etc... seems get the suspension right to deal with the squat.
Firstly I am not at the track, I ride half shit cyn roads, its worse.
Tires in soon, get a remount and do some road trials :)

Greg we have done this one before :lol were's an adjustable linkage from?
The one pre-mentioned the 400$ one?

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
Actually it was Eyespy I believe...

Some mentioned highsides etc... seems get the suspension right to deal with the squat.
Firstly I am not at the track, I ride half shit cyn roads, its worse.
Tires in soon, get a remount and do some road trials :)

Greg we have done this one before :lol were's an adjustable linkage from?
The one pre-mentioned the 400$ one?
hey, dylan i made a special trip just now out to the race team yamaha dealer out here that sold me mine and bryans and a mate of mines with an 02 r1...and he can shorten the 04 one he has left (last one) to suit the 02-03.
my mate with the 02 r1 had his done 2 years ago and it's still perfect. are you interested?
it will be about $250 u.s dollars i think.
it will look exactly like this (pics) but slightly shorter. they are made by over-racing in japan.:rock

Attachments

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
hey, dylan i made a special trip just now out to the race team yamaha dealer out here that sold me mine and bryans and a mate of mines with an 02 r1...and he can shorten the 04 one he has left (last one) to suit the 02-03.
my mate with the 02 r1 had his done 2 years ago and it's still perfect. are you interested?
it will be about $250 u.s dollars i think.
it will look exactly like this (pics) but slightly shorter. they are made by over-racing in japan.:rock

Absolutely... $ needs to be sent tell me where to Paypal or cc #.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
Absolutely... $ needs to be sent tell me where to Paypal or cc #.
i will organize it with the boss guy i spoke to then. i just went there today to see if they still had one and were willing to mod it like the last one my mate with the 02 got.
i will let you know how it goes. stay tuned.:thumbup
it might take till next week as they were busy for the next few days apparently.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Nice new Ti stuff Dylan and I'm enjoying reading about your chassis dilemmas in the nicest possible way! :lol

Good luck again with it all :thumbup

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Thanks Marc!
It seems I've over done it boy... :lol

Its not that bad, I'm now getting a square idea of the adjustments and a basic idea of what they are doing.

At this point lower rear, new (old) linkage, dropped Ohlins linkage by 3mm, add 190/55 tire, add a tic more trail and she should be right as rain... :dunno

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Thanks Marc!
It seems I've over done it boy... :lol

Its not that bad, I'm now getting a square idea of the adjustments and a basic idea of what they are doing.

At this point lower rear, new (old) linkage, dropped Ohlins linkage by 3mm, add 190/55 tire, add a tic more trail and she should be right as rain... :dunno
Well I understand very little about chassis setup beyond the very basic but that all sounds like a good plan to me considering what you're feeling :)

I'm learning too ;)

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I can only imagine what a crew chief of race team go through when they get things out of sorts. I have tons of reading references Marc. Ducati has a lot at there tech cafe fyi...

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I can only imagine what a crew chief of race team go through when they get things out of sorts. I have tons of reading references Marc. Ducati has a lot at there tech cafe fyi...
Excellent, thanks for the nod :beer

Yep, must be very stressful keeping check on what's been done, what can be done, and most importantly what shouldn't be done running a top flight race team's chassis. And that's all without actually riding the bike yourself, just interpreting the rider's feelings...

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Its true... I mean who am I? I'm not some racer guy. However it is what it is.
The fact is any of these bikes out the box ride crisp. Its not like my bike is unridable or I wont step on it. I just was feeling lost and some comments and reading have me straight. Pending new rubber mounted I will know. :)
If I get that new dogbone. :)

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Its true... I mean who am I? I'm not some racer guy. However it is what it is.
The fact is any of these bikes out the box ride crisp. Its not like my bike is unridable or I wont step on it. I just was feeling lost and some comments and reading have me straight. Pending new rubber mounted I will know. :)
If I get that new dogbone. :)
This is very true...

The best 'story' I have about handling is that I used to always bitch about my bike, weaving, bucking etc. (I still do but keep it to myself :lol) when the fastest guy that I ride with said this to me:

"You're too young to know what a good handling bike is. When I was your age (he's 52 now, I'm 30) I grew up learning to ride KH500/750's fast on crossply tyres, with their 'hinged' frames. Now when you jump on any modern bike you'll think it's a magic carpet"

He rides either a bog standard ZX7R, ZX9R B model, or Bandit 600. Doesn't touch a thing on them, puts mismatched tyres on, all kinds of no-nos and still, no-one can touch him.

Now that being said, I'm man enough to admit that I need my bike to handle as best as possible to make up for my defficiencies as a rider :fact

But it just goes to show, we're all spoilt with whatever we've got right now and whatever we do will just be like adding sprinkles to the top of a Thorntons Ultimate Chocolate Cake.

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,645 Posts
This is very true...

The best 'story' I have about handling is that I used to always bitch about my bike, weaving, bucking etc. (I still do but keep it to myself :lol) when the fastest guy that I ride with said this to me:

"You're too young to know what a good handling bike is. When I was your age (he's 52 now, I'm 30) I grew up learning to ride KH500/750's fast on crossply tyres, with their 'hinged' frames. Now when you jump on any modern bike you'll think it's a magic carpet"

He rides either a bog standard ZX7R, ZX9R B model, or Bandit 600. Doesn't touch a thing on them, puts mismatched tyres on, all kinds of no-nos and still, no-one can touch him.

Now that being said, I'm man enough to admit that I need my bike to handle as best as possible to make up for my defficiencies as a rider :fact

But it just goes to show, we're all spoilt with whatever we've got right now and whatever we do will just be like adding sprinkles to the top of a Thorntons Ultimate Chocolate Cake.
Someone from my era and he's right on, some of those early Kawies were demon fast for their time but handled like the swingarm had a hinge in it :lol

Mmmmmmmmmm Thorntons :thumbup

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Totally true. 'Back in the day' a lot of gusto, guts, and balls kept it real:secret:

Ive had my bike twice at the track, I canyon carve and commute on my bike. I ride on shit roads, and when the bike goes from surface to surface, it moves to much. Ive had other bikes. They were all good but they didnt turn like a 250cc

With the kit I have on my bike, if I can't set up more planted. fook, I give up. :lol

I've learned alot in the last couple weeks. :dundun:
Bike has been riding as it has because its set up too firm.

Just mounted new rubber, went to stock dogbone. I dropped the rear shock, 3mm, but the new 190/55 seems to lift the rear approxiamately @ 3mm.

Anyways I'll talk myself into a circle...

As far as my deficiancies go, no thread hijacking, we can't go there :crash

This is very true...

101 - 120 of 140 Posts