Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Complete Wheel Weights...

New Bridgestone 0016r tires.
my CMC rotors, front wheel is obnoxiously light.
All fasteners in ti mentioned before a few times. :lol :crash.
Weight also includes cush drive on rear wheel.

Front- 18.4lbs
Rear- 26.2lbs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I've learned alot in the last couple weeks. :dundun:
Bike has been riding as it has because its set up too firm.

Just mounted new rubber, went to stock dogbone. I dropped the rear shock, 3mm, but the new 190/55 seems to lift the rear approxiamately @ 3mm.

Anyways I'll talk myself into a circle...

As far as my deficiancies go, no thread hijacking, we can't go there :crash
:lol

Lookiong forward to how it rides soon hopefully ;)

New Bridgestone 0016r tires.
my CMC rotors, front wheel is obnoxiously light.
All fasteners in ti mentioned before a few times. :lol :crash.
Weight also includes cush drive on rear wheel.

Front- 8.0lbs
Rear- 26.2lbs
Incredible...

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Little update-

So new rubber BT-0016r 190/55 rear.
Dropped rear shock 3mm. Kept Graves linkage on.

Lowered all comp. and reb circuits, they were all way to high! The adjustment has made such a difference its retarded.

Dan Q's thread and links gave me some critical info particular to hyperlight wheels.

Less is more as they say.

To be noted, the BT's are super planted. Much better tire then the other Bridgestone product Ive used. My PP's felt harder, could almost say harsher. The profile is ala michelin stylie which I like. I like to feel like I am falling into corners, mainly the small radius ones...

Pretty pleased. Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys :thumbup

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Good to hear Dylan :thumbup

BT016s are running quite high prices at the moment over here so I've not sold very many sets but I've had feedback on two sets from people who's opinion I respect and they've both been good ;)

·
Lifetime Premium Member
763 Posts
Well mates , Got a set of Michelin 1 Trackday tires arriving today and will be mounting them up with the nomar changer tonight. Cant wait. Also recently noticed that one of my 3 rear BST wheels is a 5.75 and 2 are a 5.5 . This has an effect on tire profile when mounted and am going to stick with the 5.5s mostly for track . Either way I will be running these all new Michelin 1 tires on the track next weekend.:riding

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Well mates , Got a set of Michelin 1 Trackday tires arriving today and will be mounting them up with the nomar changer tonight. Cant wait. Also recently noticed that one of my 3 rear BST wheels is a 5.75 and 2 are a 5.5 . This has an effect on tire profile when mounted and am going to stick with the 5.5s mostly for track . Either way I will be running these all new Michelin 1 tires on the track next weekend.:riding
Cool, I'll be interested to hear how they go, I think I'm getting a set from my tyre supplier in a month or so to try on my bike.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
That's interesting... makes sense.

Cool, I'll be interested to hear how they go, I think I'm getting a set from my tyre supplier in a month or so to try on my bike.
Everyone who gets new kit is usually is on the kool-aid. The BT's are really planted feeling. Its confidence inspiring. Definitely want to hear about the new Michi tires!

Only shitty thing:dundun:

I finally figure got some of the wax of the tires open here up. Bad move. Rear spun up something stoopid. Scared the chit out of me... :confused::lol:nforc:

Other then that nothing but good.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
763 Posts
Defenatly some sticky rubber. Thumbnail goes right in and the tires are around 40 degrees F. Adjustable V stacks also came in today . And from the quick test rides up and down the road here , theBDK generator is going to be incredible. Defenatly not peaky , very good midrange acceleration.:hellobye Oh and the 1 lb 7 oz speedcell battery is in aswell.:scoots:

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
Hey D., So what are the new suspension settings at compared to old?

·
Lifetime Premium Member
763 Posts
Little update-

So new rubber BT-0016r 190/55 rear.
Dropped rear shock 3mm. Kept Graves linkage on.

Lowered all comp. and reb circuits, they were all way to high! The adjustment has made such a difference its retarded.

Dan Q's thread and links gave me some critical info particular to hyperlight wheels.

Less is more as they say.

To be noted, the BT's are super planted. Much better tire then the other Bridgestone product Ive used. My PP's felt harder, could almost say harsher. The profile is ala michelin stylie which I like. I like to feel like I am falling into corners, mainly the small radius ones...

Pretty pleased. Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys :thumbup
Interesting mate , i need to find Dan Qs thread. :hellobyeAlso the BTs sound like good tires , i have liked the 2ct so much that i had to try their latest 2ct. may try a BT sometime in the future.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Defenatly some sticky rubber. Thumbnail goes right in and the tires are around 40 degrees F. Adjustable V stacks also came in today . And from the quick test rides up and down the road here , theBDK generator is going to be incredible. Defenatly not peaky , very good midrange acceleration.:hellobye Oh and the 1 lb 7 oz speedcell battery is in aswell.:scoots:
You are a legend, 4Y, nothing but the best and you use the shit of it. Props and Im inspired...

Thanks for all the info and feedback Dylan.... :fact
Thanks Shane... appreciate the compliment:thumbup

Hey D., So what are the new suspension settings at compared to old?
3 clicks down on compression- forks
1 click down compression- shock
Rebound circuits left the same- Dont want to do to much at once.

Dood, my stuff has been way to harsh. To tight. So This is what I surmise. At higher speed the bike would get loaded due to whatever indulation or whatevers in the road. Enough to load the supension, but because it was to a spec that might work with weight set more normal but not like this. So bike gets loaded and then that loaded energy was going into the chassis, thus the spooky weird moving on the bike.

So bike much more planted. New rubber, very impressed.

I also abided by Dan Q's deal of the suspension should ideally be in the lower third of adjustment. So that is what I am going to

Interesting mate , i need to find Dan Qs thread. :hellobyeAlso the BTs sound like good tires , i have liked the 2ct so much that i had to try their latest 2ct. may try a BT sometime in the future.
BT profile is IMO has fall in almost the same to the PP2ct. However the front tire feels bigger :confused:. Its not but kind of feels like that. New rubber dampening characteristics are better then the Michi's I ran. Thus that contribution to feeling planted. Holy canoli I'm riding better. Really pleased, despite the early frustration and confusion:dundun::hammer:

I dont think you can go wrong either way.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Update-

So being perplexed about my bike. DanQ's thread on suspenders, and lots of reading.

I went down radically in my settings, that what it is. I went down even more. I rode some other bikes and my bike was set up way to tight. Best thing I could do. I also need to put in a .95 spring (I have) to get my fork down to .95

Bike continues to ride better. Things are much more compliant.

All that weight reduction really demands suspension adjustment a lot more then I could put my head around.

My body position has come back for the most part and I finally feel the front end better, and can chase corners way more relaxed.

My love affair with the wheels, and rotors grows.

I'll have to do adjustments. If I hit it hard and there are any undulations the wheel spins up a bit. It use to almost skip:confused:

My Ohlins shock blew oil out of the compression adjustment... last ride trying to scrub the tires. yea. What a PITA. So I need address that. :rant

I was anticipating getting an adjustable dogbone to mess with things, but the Clinton/Bush hangover caught up with me too... I got cut back. No mods. Sucks like every month I'd get a little bit for her. I'm having withdrawls. I am.

No complaints though. Life is good.

:thumbup

·
37,490 Posts

Lindemann up here in the bay might also help with the shock rebuild

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I was going to call Jim or DK. Probably DK, as the shock was purchased from him.

Also my setting I didnt mention I am on the lower 3rd of the available settings now. @ 25 clicks on the forks, and 40 if I recall right on the rear shock. Never fathomed I'd go that soft.

Thanks Kang...Hope your well Jonathan:thumbup

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Nice work Donnie
Im after some CMC discs for my 98 too.
My BST rear sprocket bolts are 7075T6 and they are 80gr so not much lighter than Ti but have never had one break or come loose.
My Tungsten Carbide coated Aluminium rear brake disc is still in one piece and about 300gr.

Attachments

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The first picture of cush parts is factory BST.

That rotor is beautiful.

I've wanted to get the CMC rear rotor but too much loot.

The rotor I have came off Damon Buckmasters last Yamaha ride. :)

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
So being perplexed about my bike. DanQ's thread on suspenders, and lots of reading.

I went down radically in my settings, that what it is. I went down even more. I rode some other bikes and my bike was set up way to tight. Best thing I could do. I also need to put in a .95 spring (I have) to get my fork down to .95

Bike continues to ride better. Things are much more compliant.

All that weight reduction really demands suspension adjustment a lot more then I could put my head around.

My body position has come back for the most part and I finally feel the front end better, and can chase corners way more relaxed.

My love affair with the wheels, and rotors grows.

I'll have to do adjustments. If I hit it hard and there are any undulations the wheel spins up a bit. It use to almost skip:confused:

My Ohlins shock blew oil out of the compression adjustment... last ride trying to scrub the tires. yea. What a PITA. So I need address that. :rant

I was anticipating getting an adjustable dogbone to mess with things, but the Clinton/Bush hangover caught up with me too... I got cut back. No mods. Sucks like every month I'd get a little bit for her. I'm having withdrawls. I am.

No complaints though. Life is good.

the dogbone is the answer to front end 'feel':secret: without upsetting swingarm angle and rear travel etc.:yesnod:hellobye

·
37,490 Posts
I was going to call Jim or DK. Probably DK, as the shock was purchased from him.

Also my setting I didnt mention I am on the lower 3rd of the available settings now. @ 25 clicks on the forks, and 40 if I recall right on the rear shock. Never fathomed I'd go that soft.

Thanks Kang...Hope your well Jonathan:thumbup
:lol told ya that freaked me out when I was dialling my rims in too. Just a HUGE change softening it up.

I'm well except for being voted forum queer of the month! :lol

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
:lol told ya that freaked me out when I was dialling my rims in too. Just a HUGE change softening it up.

I'm well except for being voted forum queer of the month! :lol
:ranthey where can we vote?:lol:lol

121 - 140 of 140 Posts