Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I have no R1 to eat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to bleed the master cylinder on the bike for the clutch. i'm assuming it works the same way as far as bleeding the brakes. i tried searching and only came up with 3 posts for bleeding clutch. on brakes i found several and here's what i came up with to bleed the clutch.

1. attach hose to valve. place other end of hose in container filled with new oil.
2. pump clutch (any technique here? lightly, slowly, fast, repeatedly, one or two times, 400 times?)
3. hold in clutch
4. loosen valve.
5. apply pressure to clutch.
6. wait for solid oil (no visible bubbles coming out of valve) to start coming out of valve into tube.
7. tighten valve.
8. repeat from step 2.

also, i was reading about a master cylinder banjo thingy getting air. does this apply to the clutch cylinder as well? can anyone tell me what else i need to watch for or if my steps are not correct? thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
that sounds about right ,or you could get a vaccum bleeding system. probably from a local auto parts store. you mention oil in your post , i think it should be brake fluid.

silver03r-1

·
Registered
190 Posts
evilmonk said:
i need to bleed the master cylinder on the bike for the clutch. i'm assuming it works the same way as far as bleeding the brakes. i tried searching and only came up with 3 posts for bleeding clutch. on brakes i found several and here's what i came up with to bleed the clutch.

3. hold in clutch
4. loosen valve.
5. apply pressure to clutch.
6. wait for solid oil (no visible bubbles coming out of valve) to start coming out of valve into tube.

also, i was reading about a master cylinder banjo thingy getting air. does this apply to the clutch cylinder as well? can anyone tell me what else i need to watch for or if my steps are not correct? thanks.

These steps seem a bit wrong -

- hold the clutch lever in
- loosen the bleeder for an instant an tighten it up again ..quickly
- repeat this till clear fluid comes out

If the banjo thingy gets air, then you need to polish the copper washers down with some emery paper...air usually leaks in from there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts