Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well I've got a problem with my '01 R1.

It has blown 3 oil filters. Last two blew the rubber O-Ringside and then pissed oil everywhere, one before distorted the Oil Filter & pissed oil everywhere.

I put the oil filter on properly, little bit of oil on the O-Ring, do it up to Spec (with a mechanic friend with me, who does it himself) and I start the bike up. Its warming up beautifully then when I rev it slightly, say to 4-5k, it just pisses out oil.

I think this problem is a little more serious than I originally thought.

The oil level isn't over-filled, checked all that and even let some out.

I'm using the correct weight oil - its a 15-50 (as the bike is a few years old, needs more protection)

So, I'm thinking something possibly wrong with Oil pump/bloackage somewhere.

Any ideas guys?

·
u where flyin when i passed u
48 Posts
is the oil pump pumping oil while engine is running? i mean oil level in sight glass looks like what? do you have a magnitic oil plug?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the oil pump pumping oil while engine is running? i mean oil level in sight glass looks like what? do you have a magnitic oil plug?

Yeah it is mate, the oil is always moving around in that glass bit. It drops when you start the bike then you see it running down the glass.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Yeah it is mate, the oil is always moving around in that glass bit. It drops when you start the bike then you see it running down the glass.
i assume you are using genuine filters? if so have you done anything funny with the crankcase breather hose that goes into the airbox? or done some other mod just before this started happening?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i assume you are using genuine filters? if so have you done anything funny with the crankcase breather hose that goes into the airbox? or done some other mod just before this started happening?
Na mate. Bike is it was when I purchased it a couple months ago.

I have used a Yamaha filter & 2 different other brands. I thought the problem was fixed, until today.

Reved the bike before it was warm, had been running for about 20 seconds (saying that, I had ridden it this morning and its only been sitting there for 5 hours - in 20c heat). Then the oil filter blew out again. Hasn't done it for 2 weeks.

My conclusion, I changed to 15w-50 oil - its too thick for the bikes current situation (might be running slightly high oil pressure). When I rev it and its cold (e.g. Oil is at its thickest) it causes too much pressure & blows out the O-ring on the Oil Filter.

So I just went down and bought some Honda 10w-40 and a genuine Oil Filter - we will see how we go.

When I got the bike it had a 10w-40 in it and never did this, its only since I changed oil. I got told by everyone that 15w-50 should be fine....

·
The Original One
2,290 Posts
When I got the bike it had a 10w-40 in it and never did this, its only since I changed oil. I got told by everyone that 15w-50 should be fine....
As it has only done this since you changed the oil I was wondering if you put to much oil in. Whether too much oil could cause this I don't know but it seems strange unless it is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As it has only done this since you changed the oil I was wondering if you put to much oil in. Whether too much oil could cause this I don't know but it seems strange unless it is purely coincidental.
Wasn't too much oil, we thought that was the problem to start with. After doing it all again we put in a minimal amount, enough to get the engine started, would turn on the bike, let it idle (oil light on). Then turn off bike and add a little more . Repeated until oil light was off! This wasn't even enough to show up in the window, so wasn't overfilled at all.

I think it was all coincidental in the end, hopefully the thinner oil fixes the problem.

·
1000 mi / 24 hrs, MN1K
1 Posts
I've been having the same problem, mine happens as the Bike is just starting up, I'll hear a hiss as I'm releasing the starter and look down and my oil is flowing beneath me. Over half of the oil reservoir empties in the few seconds it takes me to realize and hit the kill switch. Has happened 3 times also, once in 2006 and twice last year in September. I'm running 20W-40. My mechanic friend told me to check the oil press rlf valve as JAYSTENSEC4CYL said above. They have all happened on fairly warm days, 80 deg F or more, and never had a problem when it is cold (I start riding when it gets to 35 F and have ridden below freezing without problems). I've had the bike since 2004 and never had the problem until 2006 always running the same oil. I'm going to switch to a thinner grade of oil if I pull out the PRV and check it (or have a friend do it for me, I always end up with extra parts when I pull something like that apart) and find nothing wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aus Ash,

Did the oil grade drop fix the problem? The reason I ask is that mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. Fired up from cold, quick blip of the throttle and all of a sudden I've got an oil fountain directed at my front tyre. Took the oil filter of and it's deformed on one side, never seen anything like it. So any words of wisdom welcome.

·
Banned
550 Posts
We had a 06 gixxer 1K at the shop that blew the o-rings on the filters. It happened to be the pressure relief valve. The engine would build up too much pressure and pop the o ring when we revved up the engine. I would also make sure that the O ring from your old filter came off with the filter and not stuck on the engine when you put the new filter on.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
aablackr1

Thanks for the reply, since posting I came to this conclusion so I've just been out and dropped the sump off. Checked the oil pick up strainer for anything suspicious (nothing untoward stuck on the mesh) and stripped/cleaned/rebuilt the oil pressure relief valve. That said, there did not appear to anything wrong with it. Good idea about accidental doubling up of the filter seal but this was not the case, only one seal and the leak/fountain was due to the filter itself bulging around the sealing face! Anyway, nowhere to get a new sump gasket at 5:00pm on a rainy Easter Sunday in England, so i'll guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out if this has worked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.