Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Humble Pastafarian
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been doing a bit of modding over the winter....
Put on a full exhaust (disconnected exup cables not motor), pcIII, speedohealer, rear signals, etc. Wanted to kick it over and the dash lit up as normal, cranked over a few times without starting and then blew the ignition fuse.
Replaced the fuse and it came up with error 1 & 2 on the dash and then blew the fuse.
Basically turn the key to ON and it blows the fuse within a second or two (without me trying to hit the starter).
Disconnected the speedohealer - same crap.
Disconnected the pcIII - same crap.
Running lights, tail light and turn work as normal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
there is a short in the system some where, just get a volt meter with a fuse adapter, you can get this at any part store. un-plug all the sencors and components that is run off of the fuse (get a wiring diagram to help) then with the volt meter installed, start pluging the sencors/components one by one while watching the volt meter, you will know right off of the bat when you find it, if a circuit is rated for 15 amps, yamaha installs around a 20-25amp for spikes. when you find the short. you will see the volt-meter jump, if you have all the sencors/components unpluged and there is still popping fuses then there is a wire grounding out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, so I've been doing a bit of modding over the winter....
Put on a full exhaust (disconnected exup cables not motor), pcIII, speedohealer, rear signals, etc. Wanted to kick it over and the dash lit up as normal, cranked over a few times without starting and then blew the ignition fuse.
Replaced the fuse and it came up with error 1 & 2 on the dash and then blew the fuse.
Basically turn the key to ON and it blows the fuse within a second or two (without me trying to hit the starter).
Disconnected the speedohealer - same crap.
Disconnected the pcIII - same crap.
Running lights, tail light and turn work as normal.

Any ideas?
same problem here

have you found the solution?

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,227 Posts
If it happens after the key is turned on, it has to be through fuses 77, 78 or 79. It could also be in the ignition itself or the ignition plug. You could pull the three fuses and put them back one at a time until the fuse blows to try and narrow it down. You could also have a problem with another circuit, that's not through the three fuses, but when you turn the key on the total draw is more than 50 Amps and blows the fuse.

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I blow is the 15A fuse under the seat, it seems it controls only the fuel pump. I blew three fuses in a row I decided to order a box of 15A fuses and a new pump (only the central element, you can find it on Amazon), the stock one is in bad condition as the tank was full of rust.

I swapped it out this afternoon and I ran the bike at home for twenty minutes to check if the fuse would still blow. Everything seems solved, I'll test the bike tomorrow on open roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought this one just because it was the one that could shipped in two days.

You can definitely find several pumps similar to this, I belive they are all the same.

I also bought the filter on ebay as it was really clogged

1 - 7 of 7 Posts