Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done balancing and blueprinting of simpler motors in the past like screamer inline 4s, which generally don't have things like counter-rotating balancing shafts etc. These are easy to do, due to their design. But, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with either articles or resources on how to balance & blueprint a 1st gen crossplane motor?

I've got 8 months to wait until I get my license back, so I'm thinking about doing some balancing / blueprinting work. Given the counter-rotating balance shaft in the plankers, are there any resources out there which can give me pointers of things to look out for when doing this?

I'm in Australia, and there aren't many places around which would have the technical nor engineering expertise which aren't going to charge 5+K for the job. And, it's work I can do myself if I have the right guidance. (I have a fully equipped engineering workshop at my disposal that my mate runs. He has done balancing work for motorcycle engines, but, this is not what his business does. He does a lot of very sophisticated work - aeronautical stuff, some aerospace, and some things "he can't talk about".)

So if anyone has any advice, articles, pointers, any resources of any kind that could educate me on these motors, I'd be really grateful.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who want to know, this is an article answering some of my question: Race tuning and the Yamaha R1 crossplane crank

Basically, the counterbalance shaft is weighted for the rotating mass of the stock crank + stock rods & pistons. If you go lighter rods/pistons/crank weights, you will need to either modify the counterbalance shaft for the new combined crank mass, OR add weights to the output of the crank. It's definitely not as simple as a flatplane motor..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts