Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I want to make a couple more hp on my stock 2017 yamaha r1 and im looking at getting a graves cat eliminator 3/4 pipe would a bmc air filter help add a couple hp when i get it dyno tuned or should I leave the stock paper filter in . Ride all street for now

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,172 Posts
a simple combo for more power is a 3/4 exhaust & aftermarket air filter. especially if you are planning to dyno the bike.

the biggest improvement is the exhaust upgrade, the filter just compliments it like the chocolate mints you get with the check at olive garden.

but i encourage you to get the ecu flashed for the set up or dyno sooner than later after you install.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,172 Posts
You forgot to mention all the fine dirty particles getting sucked right into the engine.
ha true. I think with the regular maintenance and recharging, it will be ok. Just do not ride in a sand storm

·
Registered
19 Posts
A pipe,air filter and tune will enhance power but if you want seat of the pants acceleration I recommend a sprocket change.
Going one tooth down up front is almost unnoticable so plan on a rear sprocket change as well.You will lose a bit of the top end but how often do you actually ever see that speed versus zero to 160+ which isn't all that rare.
I spent a couple of grand on a pipe etc. but the real kick in the pants came from a few hundred dollar chain and sprocket swap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A pipe,air filter and tune will enhance power but if you want seat of the pants acceleration I recommend a sprocket change.
Going one tooth down up front is almost unnoticable so plan on a rear sprocket change as well.You will lose a bit of the top end but how often do you actually ever see that speed versus zero to 160+ which isn't all that rare.
I spent a couple of grand on a pipe etc. but the real kick in the pants came from a few hundred dollar chain and sprocket swap.
Yeah I hear that's the way to go i just hope its not a wheelie machin if i did the sprockets

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you already know the answer to that,I went 1 down and 4 up on my 04 and went 6 up on the back of my 18 and throttle wheelies at ridiculous speeds are common.But yeah even stock they come up very easy so maybe try 1 down and 2 up and see if that floats your boat.I honestly can say that whatever top end I lost was worth the tradeoff.Granted my gearing choices are not for everyone but after 45 years of riding I've kinda gone numb to acceleration.
Have fun..
Oh yeah long rides consume much gas,that is the only downside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you already know the answer to that,I went 1 down and 4 up on my 04 and went 6 up on the back of my 18 and throttle wheelies at ridiculous speeds are common.But yeah even stock they come up very easy so maybe try 1 down and 2 up and see if that floats your boat.I honestly can say that whatever top end I lost was worth the tradeoff.Granted my gearing choices are not for everyone but after 45 years of riding I've kinda gone numb to acceleration.
Have fun..
Oh yeah long rides consume much gas,that is the only downside.
Well luckly the r1 gets shit mpg 25 avg. So after a gearing change and q tune i wouldn't care if it was 15 haha well worth the fun

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh iknow thats gona suck but I didn't buy a r1 for good mpg even though it wouldn't hurt haha 😅

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first long ride resulted in me pushing the bike across the Golden Gate Bridge,it was a long walk of shame but thankfully bridge crew were waiting for me at the other end with a can of gas,they watched me on their cameras and said I was making pretty good time so they decided not to dispatch a truck to help me.
They were probably placing bets on how far I got before collapsing or having a stroke.Took me 3 cigarettes to get across,should probably have just smoked 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its about 130 mile round trip,my 04 used to make the round trip on one tank of gas after gearing and the 18 ran out of gas prior to the gearing change so I'd say somewhere between horrible and extremely horrible mpg.This trip is done at moderate speeds because I'm not riding with anyone else to provoke madness

·
Look Ma 1 Hand!
56 Posts
I also want to chime in a gripe about the horrible gas mileage. My 2007 also got noticeably better mpg's.
The bike looks awesome but damn the fuel economy is shit!

It is a running gag in my group rides that I always have to stop for gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts