Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
`send it!`
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bogus low mileage bikes???? I have been looking around at all these bikes for sale and I have one question. Does anyone ride their bike or do they just look at it? Or is this a touchy subject with people switching gauge clusters to lower mileage? I just dont believe that many people are truthfully selling bikes with 1500-3000 miles after 2-3 years. I guess you almost never know....I dont want to hear that "its very seasonal riding weather"so not much time to ride. I'm in California so everyday is a riding day and it happens here as well. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2001 GSXR 1000 With 1666 Miles on it!! I Unbolted the wire that pics up the speed and milage about 3 years ago. That is why When you look up bike in kelly blue book they dont ask miles they ask for condition. I have my bike sold to a friend already and he knows about the odo but I am sure the next person will not have such info. By the way I didnt unhook the odo and spedo to get one over on someone. I own a driving school (Drivers ED Not racing) and couldnt bare to see the high rates of speed on weekend backroad bashing. See no evil hear no evil. The only info I can give for telling how many miles R on a bike is look at the swingarm backside if it has alot of chips on it look out. That was the only thing that you couldnt hid on mine. All of the road grime and oil just steams away like new. But rock chips don't. Also another thing is look at radiator and the guard behind front wheel for chips and wear. Good luck

·
The 02 R1 is very Rated `R`!
822 Posts
How many miles is too many for a sport bike?

I lived in Ohio and the weather isn't the best there but I have 14,500 miles on my 99 R6. And now live in Iowa and have 8,000 on my 02 R1. Most of the miles on the R1 were put on last year.

I have never had a problem with either of these bikes.

They are making these bikes better every year. I'm not going to lie about the miles on my bikes. If they have high miles that means the person just has to ride!

I get my back out when it gets above 35-40 deg. and the roads are clean.

I have had my R1 out every month since I bought it.

·
smokin the road up on an 01 R1
1,726 Posts
beats the hell outta me too how people don't ride their bikes...I bought my 02 brand new in Nov. 03 and I already have 8,000 miles on her, and 3 sets of tires that have worn out on the sides before the center:yesnod I plan on gettin my moneys worth outta my baby...but she still looks brand new.:rock ...but then again I don't plan on selling her:crash

·
Registered
785 Posts
It is very possible that some older riders don't put many miles on a bike.

If they have 1500mi, they sould look brand new. Then, all you have to worry about is whether or not the bike was stored properly!

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's very easy to have low miles on relatively old (and new) bikes.

Depends on alot of factors. How much they ride, weather, how many bikes they have....etc.

My 02 R1 only has 3000 miles on it, reason being, I have to alternate different bikes....don't want to neglect any of them. :)

Tarl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts