Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story first...
Went for a bit of a ride with the Co.Springs guys last Sunday and when I got home I found that the zipper on my left boot was trashed. Just age I guess...

Anyway I've been checking out two different pairs of boots and want to know what you all think.

First I looked into the Alpinstars SMX Plus boots. They seem very sturdy and well built.

I also checked out the Sidi Vertebra 2 boots which also seem well suited for track days and other riding.

This afternoon I went to Performance Cycle in Denver to check both of them out. Seems to be that the Sidis aren't as well built as the Aplinestars. They're great boots mind you but the Alpinestars boots seemed sturdier and more able to take the punishment if they ever needed to. The SMX Plus boots were a bit stiff but I'm sure that would wear away with time and use. both boots were comfortable but the Alpinestars boots seemed a bit more comfortable right off the bat where the Sidis took a bit of walking around. Not that it matters much.

I guess what I'm asking is that I am wondering what the general opinions of the Forum are on these two boots? I don't have the money to spend of two pairs of boots so these would also be my daily rider boots. I don't mind riding street with overkill boots either. :D

·
OG Moderator
996 Posts
If you have wide feet...SIDI Verts

Daytona had the SMX Plus for $179...nice boot, just didn't fit width

Oh and Supertechs? They were a total pain in the arse to put on imo

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
SIDI verts here:thumbup

Attachments

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
I just got these Vert race boots today, a little more money than I wanted to spend, but they're a nice boot. I was going to get the Oxtar's for $79 bucks, however, they didn't have a size 10.

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
I just ordered the Vert 2's. I was making my choice from the same 2 as you and I thought that the SMX +'s weren't as comfortable. It was as if something was pushing straight down on my toes or something. The Sidi's just seemed to fit me better and were more comfortable for me so I chose them. I am still waiting for them to show up.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
I own the SMX-PLUS boots, and I absolutely love them! I have narrow feet, and the SMX-PLUS boots have an inner lace feature that allows for a PERFECT fit! Once laced up, those suckers fit like a glove!
Both are excellent boots, but if I were you, I'd pick up the SMX-PLUS!
They are very stiff in the beginning, but once broken in, you can walk around in them ALL DAY....

·
Banned
537 Posts
Ive only seen one crash with the smx boots and the guy suffered a broken ankle so id so no to the a-stars. I have sidi race boots and if you want to see how well they work watch any motogp race:fact Sidi is just plain the best for me although i have big feet so maybe not for the girly footed:lol

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I gottem too, but............................... I've had them for a year and the squeakies have just disappeared in the past couple months. They have great ankle protection and the only downside is that I got mine out of the first batch sent over and the ankle protectors came unthreaded near the ankle. Great boot though. I would take it over the vertebra or vert2's but not the vert pro.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
riata r1 said:
Ive only seen one crash with the smx boots and the guy suffered a broken ankle so id so no to the a-stars. I have sidi race boots and if you want to see how well they work watch any motogp race:fact Sidi is just plain the best for me although i have big feet so maybe not for the girly footed:lol

Gotta be fair here, you can see guys crashing in motoGP wearing Alpinestars just as well as sidi. The boots do a great job at protecting but you can't expect them to stop everything , just to minimize the action. HEll I've seen people crash and die from head injuries while wearing a top line helmet too. If someone wanted absolute protection then they'd shell out for a pair of Daytona's.

·
7th Kyu
1,473 Posts
I have owned both and after trying on the Sidi's I sold my SMX Plus boots and picked up a pair of Vertabra 2 boots. The Sidi's are alot more comfortable and make riding with boots alot easier. I found the alpinestars would actually get in the way and make riding with them alot more difficult.

But whatever you are more comfortable in it all the matters, for me, with was the Sidi's.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Banned
537 Posts
Solidus said:
Gotta be fair here, you can see guys crashing in motoGP wearing Alpinestars just as well as sidi. The boots do a great job at protecting but you can't expect them to stop everything , just to minimize the action. HEll I've seen people crash and die from head injuries while wearing a top line helmet too. If someone wanted absolute protection then they'd shell out for a pair of Daytona's.
I thought only supertech's were worn by gp racers recently not smx my bad. Plus ive read many testimonials from guys who have crashed with the sidi race and walked away no problem. Ive low sided on them but thats no real test. If you try a pair of races on you will buy them. They just look good (without being crazy) and provide excellent protection coupled with good flexibility and great feel for shifting. I had oxtar tcs evos before and these sidis just kick their ass bad.

·
6,538 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion of the Teknic boots that look like tennis shoes? They sure do look comfortable!
One thing that I did notice when I first purchased the Alpinestars is the shifting issues mentioned by RGertner. Upshifting was very difficult and took a while to get used to. I thought this was common with all new boots, but I guess not with the Sidis?:dunno If that's the case, another :thumbup to Sidi...

·
6,538 Posts
dairyman said:
where can i get the sidis???? and what size would i be if i wear a size 14 shoe????????
When I purchased my Alpinestars, the Sidis were always on backorder and were hard to find. It appears as though they're easier to get now. If I were you, I'd contact www.newenough.com

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
R1Fanatic said:
When I purchased my Alpinestars, the Sidis were always on backorder and were hard to find. It appears as though they're easier to get now. If I were you, I'd contact www.newenough.com
I second that....that's were I got mine from.:iamwithst

1 - 20 of 34 Posts