Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really nice day here in central Illinois. Almost 60. I took my 2001 R1 out for a test ride since this was the first time I could ride since I put in Ivans jet kit and put on my Leo Vince high pipe. The R1 runs great. No hesitations or stumbles and really pulls hard from all RPMs. I can putt throught small towns in 6th gear down to 2000 rpms and when I get out of the towns I can wack the throttle wide open in 6th and it will pull hard even at this high gear and low rpm. I am very happy with the results of the carb kit and slip-on.
So I am riding along on a four lane highway going about 65 when I notice another bike closing in on me in my rear view mirror. The bike pulls up along side of me and it is a Boss Hoss. He slows beside me and then gets on it hard. I was in 6th gear and got on it hard and I was just starting to go around him when we had to slow for some traffic. I got around the traffic and put the R1 in 4th gear and waited for him. He finally got around the cars and pulled up again and got on it hard. It sounded good and pulled pretty good but the R1 pulled away from him pretty easily. I slowed up a bit and let him catch up and we tried it again. Same results. R1 Kicked his Boss Hoss ASS. He was a real grease ball. He would not even look at me the whole time we were along side each other and after I thrashed his Boss Hoss I slowed down and he went around me and flipped me the finger. Oh well I guess he was pissed because he paid alot of money for a two-wheeled car!

· Hooligan
195 Posts
The Boss Hoss is a joke anyway. Maybe if someone built it themselves in their garage then I would have respect for their wrenching. Someone who buys one is just an idiot. Just my opinion.

· I'm wheelie nuts
458 Posts
Yup, you said it Smokeater. If you want something overpriced that doesn't handle worth s**t and just looks fugly then the Boss Hoss is the bike for you! I love V-8's and I love motorcycles but lets face the facts, the two just don't mix.:n0t I'll take my R1 any day of the week.

P.J.

· Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Whats a boss hoss? Send a pic:)

· Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Ok, thanks:D

· My Boss Hoss sound's so cool!
18 Posts
The Boss Hoss's are Hungry

Hello Gentleman, I've read through these posting's and feel I should respond. I own a Hoss Boss. It's a 97 1 speed automatic 350 V8 making 406HP. And I have never been beat. The early models use a 215HP stock 350 engine with a 1 speed transmission. This is more then likely what was raced. The 1 speed's are good for about 130-140MPH. But we all know you need HP to back it up. I'm not posting this to put your R1's down. They are very fast and can take the curves faster than any Boss Hoss. That I will agree with. They have to be great bike's or you guy's wouldn't be riding them. They look like they are going 100MPH when they're parked. And if your happy with what your riding I'm happy for you. As far as I'm concerned "We are all brothers in the wind." And I wave to everybody.

But the Boss Hoss will draw a crowd when I stop for gas. I get pulled over by the Cop's just so they can take a look at it. And with the Bike's evolution to a 2 speed transmission and the factory's engine option's of a 355HP or 385HP 350, and the 502HP Big Block. The new Boss Hoss's are better then ever. We have one guy who has a GPS III on his 2000 2 speed bike that has clocked a 186.1 MPH MAX speed and the bike was still willing to go on but he wasn't. This same bike with a 275LB. rider has run the 1/4 in 8.86sec at 156MPH with a stock 355HP 350 + 100HP shot of NO2. There is also a dealer who has run his bike on a Dyno Drag. This Super Big Block clock a ET of 6.407 at 210.8MPH. So I can say with true certanty that the BOSS HOSS IS THE KING OF SPEED. And is the FASTEST, MOST POWERFUL MOTORCYCLE IN THE WORLD. And if you want proof. Bring your R1's to the Nat'l Rally at 7 Spring's Resort in South Central Pa. July 10-14th. And I'm sure you'll get it.

Carburetor Mike :cool:

· One time at band camp.......
158 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCH OF HORSESHIT TO ME!!!!!! EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO PUT MY BOOTS ON!!!!

18 Posts
Well you hear what you like. But the truth is the TRUTH. So like I said if you want proof find a BIG BLOCK and get your slice of humble pie.

Carburetor Mike:cool:

158 Posts
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH............................

158 Posts
Lets say a guy buys an '02 R1 and pays $10,000 for it, then that leaves him, what, about $15-20,000 more to be at what you payed for your BOSS HOGG? And even if the BOSS PIG is faster, it is still FUGLY! Oh, and how is the handlng? Each to their own, but don't come on here saying how much faster your bike is. If you can't tell, No one here cares. The R1, IMO (that means IN MY OPINION) is a much more practical buy. I would ride the R1 across country. Would you do that on your bike? and when you said "you here what you want" the word here should have been spellled 'hear'.

Later..............FUEL INJECTED MIKE
(welcome to the 21st century)

18 Posts
Well, Samm started this string. And the reply's that the Boss Hoss is a joke is your fellow forum member's opinion. So putting down a bike you haven't riden or even know anything about just isn't right in my opinion. I didn't say anything bad about your R1's did I? I just stated the truth. And it seam's you have a problem with that. The Boss Hoss is here to stay. And by the way my bike handles fine. And yes I'd ride it across the country. And my hand's won't be falling asleep either. Your R1's may beat me through a corner but I'll be by you on the straight's. So deal with it. PS: check your spelling hot shot.

Check out this site. crazyspeed.com and look at the NICE article on Marv Jorgenson. The King of speed.

Carburetor Mike:cool:

· Registered
15,446 Posts
carbmike,congrats on keeping it cool despite that ranting...but you almost lost it in this latest reply :no

i saw that too often,guys,proud owners of machinery coming on a model/brand specific website and bragging about their ride...50% would be pissed,50% wouldnt care...anyways;nice hp and torque,but i still prefer my bikes pointy and nimble...lol

158 Posts
CarbMike, You check your spelling! Tell me what I spelled wrong, hotshot! Anyways, I was not trying to start an arguement with you. I know plenty about the boss hoss. I agree with you that it is good at one thing, going fast in a straight line. But, take your blinders off. The cost is outragous. The handling may be fine to you, but this is a R1 forum, which would indicate to me that the majority of people on here are after the SPORT bikes. Not an overhorsepowered cruiser, if you will. I just read your multi-paragraph response, and it struck a cord with me. It came across to me that your were saying "The Boss Hoss is a better bike than the R1." I don't agree. Not everyone wants to spend $30k on a motorcycle. If you did, then power to you. But when you put out a challenge for us to come and race you, I say "How many Boss Hoss's did you see running in the Daytona 200?" Let's go to a roadrace course and see how your bike does. Like I said earlier, each to their own. But what do you expect in response to your comments. You can have the last word, because I have said all I need to.......Later

· Petrol is my bitch!
574 Posts
twodog's says each to his own. Ride whatever turns you on. Better a boss hoss than a car. I think the boss hoss rider in the original post though wasn't doing owners of that type of bike any favours by flipping the guy who beat him fair and square. Gave the R1 rider the impression (incorrectly perhaps) that all Boss Hoss riders are wankers. Which bike is quickest? I don't care.
I clearly remember my stock R1 on road tyres overtaking a full race 996 with slicks around the outside of the local track, then having the same thing happen back to me by a 125 at the next corner. There is always someone going to kick your arse, regardless of what we or they ride.

· My dog ate my R1
227 Posts
I bought my 2000 R1 with 1300 miles on it in October for $6500.00. Take another $4k and strap a turbo on it and see how the Boss Hoss does against it then....;and I would still be at 1/3 the cost and could handle as well. I have a friend with a turbo Hyabusa....i am sure he'd run against any Boss Hoss around!!!! For the $$ they are NOT the king of speed.

· Street & Dirt.
718 Posts
I guess I just fail to see why anyone would want a car engine in a motorcycle?

I would have to think that a V8, 350 or 502, would be mostly overkill. It must weigh a TON. The 02 R1 weighs in at 382lb dry. How much does a 502 V8 weigh? It must be close to 300-400 lbs for the engine alone.

Regarding straights and turns, the world is not a straightaway, it's a twisty.

Some bikers think that a bike like the R1 is overkill. Hehe, now we can send those people to you. :D

I have nothing against the Boss Hoss, I just don't see spending $30k+ on one. I would rather buy 2 R1's and 2 YZ 250's, all brand spanking new. And STILL have enough left over for helmets ;)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.