Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends , i had problem with my leaking thermostat body O-ring , and when i changed it , i saw that buttom of engine is in oil sweat , also before that secondary fuel line clip , was in oil sweat too . it's not leaking oil , just sweat a lot . Maybe someone had same issue ? i will attached photo , Thank's /

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
See the oiled black plastic round thing with the two mount points call it? My thought is that if that was separated to show the sweat behind that plastic breather cap, right? Could the cap be the oil leak and is peppering the engine case, thinking you have a base gasket leak or head leak say?

Looks like the cap is the cause of the case leak. If the cap takes an oring, it might be the ring can no longer hold the oil at the split? So I'd reinstall the cap so when I clean it with a carwash high pressure spray hose, I don't get water in the crankcase. That, or gunk engine clean and hose it down in the street?

Then you monitor it to see if it's the cap or the case?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See the oiled black plastic round thing with the two mount points call it? My thought is that if that was separated to show the sweat behind that plastic breather cap, right? Could the cap be the oil leak and is peppering the engine case, thinking you have a base gasket leak or head leak say?

Looks like the cap is the cause of the case leak. If the cap takes an oring, it might be the ring can no longer hold the oil at the split? So I'd reinstall the cap so when I clean it with a carwash high pressure spray hose, I don't get water in the crankcase. That, or gunk engine clean and hose it down in the street?

Then you monitor it to see if it's the cap or the case?
In this plastic thing is thermostat , and water ( antifreeze ) , so this is not a caue of oil sweat ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got it. Again, we want to head over to the car wash with a bare bike, cling wrap over the sensor connectors so it sticks on the dry parts. Waste a round with the rinse cycle only to cool the engine down. Gunk spray wants a warm surface, not hot and spray as soon as you dismount? Might stain is all being too hot.

Oil leaks are to look way up past the leak, then follow it down. Head is clean so from top down from here, not there. Hard to think oil is going to walk up the barrel, unless there is enough air turbulence to push the oil up the barrel? So it's hard to tell from here.

Again, cling wrap around that thermo housing to keep any liquid from peppering the case back there, monitor every time you dismount.
Sweat ~ Not to the point of new paper and case sealer. It's peppered for years as a sweat as you see it now.
Leak ~ That's a flat out drip on the ground, running out with engine spinning the pressure from within, crankcase oil drop within hundreds of miles.
Weep ~ Does not pool, but is not a sweat, not a leak. You look at the bike leak and call the ball between the 3 leaks. Leak is a fix. Weep is borderline, never hits the ground, but more annoying if any. Sweat is looking at that since new and never any engine teardown between new and now? Not bad.

With the cling wrap over the thermo housing, you can see if this puddles when you remove it to check for a seep there at the housing. It's one or the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts