Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 05' R1. I recently had it in with a mechanic and he told me the rear shock was getting stiff, so I bought a new one.
Went for a K-Tech DDR Pro, rear shock absorber.
As it's still winter, it's not installed yet, but after receiving it, I read the owners manual that said two concerning things:
1: Not intended for highway use.
2: Needs to be serviced every 20 hours by qualified personell.

Should I be deeply concerned about the above or just install it and ride?

·
Venom X/O
24,675 Posts
It’s not designed for comfort. I’d almost suggest selling it or returning it and replacing with a rebuilt factory shock. The thing with this shock is it’s built for race abuse, it’s stiff and aggressive. Plus the service intervals are different because it’s a pro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s not designed for comfort. I’d almost suggest selling it or returning it and replacing with a rebuilt factory shock. The thing with this shock is it’s built for race abuse, it’s stiff and aggressive. Plus the service intervals are different because it’s a pro.
I just obtained it and it took a month for it to get here, it's so difficult to get ahold of parts for a 05 R1 these days, it's getting old. But it'll do for road? It has multiple settings so it can't just only be stiff, can it?

·
Venom X/O
24,675 Posts
I just obtained it and it took a month for it to get here, it's so difficult to get ahold of parts for a 05 R1 these days, it's getting old. But it'll do for road? It has multiple settings so it can't just only be stiff, can it?
Depends on how you sprung it when you ordered it. If you ordered it for your weight; it’s race spec

·
Venom X/O
24,675 Posts
Had no idea you could add different springs, I obtained one from a store with a spring already on it.
Typically when you order one you can pick the spring rate based on your weight and riding purpose, ie track riding or street. If you bought it second hand, it may be worth finding out what the shock is sprung at, potentially it could be way out of range for you and not operate as designed for your application.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Typically when you order one you can pick the spring rate based on your weight and riding purpose, ie track riding or street. If you bought it second hand, it may be worth finding out what the shock is sprung at, potentially it could be way out of range for you and not operate as designed for your application.
I bought one new. Didn't specify track or street, but according to what I'm reading in the manual, it appears to be meant for track and tells me it needs service every 20 hours. But I contacted the dealership which told me it was fine to use for street.

·
Venom X/O
24,675 Posts
I bought one new. Didn't specify track or street, but according to what I'm reading in the manual, it appears to be meant for track and tells me it needs service every 20 hours. But I contacted the dealership which told me it was fine to use for street.
It’ll work, sure. The bike will ride with the shock, but not optimally for what you want to use it for. I’m surprised you didn’t buy an Ohlins and have it serviced

1 - 10 of 10 Posts