Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had experience of brake binding on 2002 - 2003 models? I've had the front checked out under warranty by the dealership who said they couldn't find anything wrong other than the pins needing a bit of greasing. The discs are blue as buggery and the front won't spin freely when off the ground. I'm running standard pads and discs and don't consider myself to be the last of the demon late brakers. The bike has not been run on the track but does get some hard riding on the roads.

So is this something wrong with my bike or has anyone else had a problem?

·
2 wheels are better than 4.
1,548 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I thought it was a normal condition since the brakes were not making any noise (squeaking) and they responded well with minimal lever input. I would be curious to find out what others say about this issue.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
is it all over the circumfrence that they are blue, only in spots? Do they bind all the way around or will they spin to the same point all the time?
I would assume you have cleaned everything and lubed the pins and that you still have the stock anti-vibe plates on your stock pads?
Need a little more info to really help ya.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yo Budha, i realised u got a wavy disk in ur signature pic. tell me about them if u don't mind since am thinking of upgrading mine. how much it changes the braking, the pads wearing any quicker? any info would be nice. thanks a lot.

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R1Budha said:
[Need a little more info to really help ya. [/B]
I'm running the bike absolutely stock including brake lines. The discs are blue over the whole circumference both sides. The wheel will spin for about one and half turns but you can hear the pads dragging. The greasing was done around 2 -3 weeks ago so should be fine still. There's plenty of life left in the pads.

Someone has tried to tell me that its down to my late braking, but on a road? They've suggested running combination track/road pads to avoid overheating the discs but I tend to think this is something not quite right with the bike. The front lever can at times be instant feel and at times slightly spongey, but that I would say is down to the standard brake lines. That doesn't worry me too much but this binding thing does.

Any help is appreciated.:dunno

·
Registered
190 Posts
you could try changing the fluid, bleeding the brakes and getting some new seals in the callipers.

The callipers tend to collect dirt which results in the piston sticking

·
180 MPH is a very lonely place
45 Posts
Mine are the same.....

my front brakes bind too mine's a 99 R1 but the front wheel spun fairly freely so i wasn't too bothered. I had some free time so i stripped the calipers down, pulled the pistons out and cleaned them up meticulously as someone who races them told me it was probably due to built up dirt preventing the pistons fron recessing fully...re built them and drained the fluid from the master cylinder before bleeding them with new fluid....Result??? binding just the same as before so i'll live with the irritating noise which i only hear when i push it in and out the house. discs are not blue though and to be honest if yours were blued due to binding you'd know about it. i'd be more inclined to find out what the spec is for the steel those wavy discs are made out of and whether they blue as a matter of course. hope this helps you mate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Stan , have you checked if your wheel is properly tightened ? if its not, sometimes the disc tends to touch the calliper mounting resulting in the irratating sound you mentioned.

·
180 MPH is a very lonely place
45 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean there mate because the discs and caliper mountings are miles apart. Front wheel is tightened to the Nm so it aint that but thanks anyway..

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stan

When I took it back to the dealer under warranty, they stripped the calipers down but the pistons were moving freely. The system was bled and the pins copper slipped. The discs were wiped down. Fine for about a day now the discs are blue again.

I've mailed Roots at Superbike to see if he has any knowledge or can glean anything from Yamaha about the problem. I'll be disapointed if it is down to me and my braking, as no modern superbike should have brakes this bad and get as over-heated as this just from hard road riding.

I've also made enquiries about the power delivery. I know the front comes up in 2nd on carb models just on the power but mine won't lift the front in 2nd unless I use the clutch. Its a 2003 injected model and therefore is a little bit more sedate in how it delivers the power. compared to the carb models I can't get on with this bounce up nonsense so I'm thinking of getting the bike dynoed to see if all is well before the warranty runs out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts