Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I dont own a R1, I just own the front brake system off of one, so I thought you guys could help me out with a question I got.

I want to know what that adjustment dial on the handle actually does. Many say that it changes where the lever start point is in relation to the clip on, however, in my setup, my dial changes the engagement point of the brakes and its start point remains the same. So I can adjust how stiff or how mushy I want my brakes to feel. Personally I would like them to be stiff at all times, and I can get that with it on teh #1 position, however, at the #5 position, I can pull the lever in about half way before it actually engages, but still has good braking power. Not as good at it does in #1 (2 finger endos), but similar to a stock setup with rubber lines.

Now, when I went out riding to test out the new brake system, I played with the dial to see what it did and noticed this phenomenon and thought that perhaps this dial is used for compensating for brake pad wear, like the race bikes have. I figured it should be tight in the #5 position, and as the pads wear down it will get a little mushy, so you go down to #4 and so on until you have no more adjustment, then you either rebleed the system, or get new pads.

Anyways, if thats the case, then what setting should I put it at when I bleed the brakes. I originally blead the brakes on the #5 setting, but the #5 setting when Im riding is the mushiest and #1 is nice and tight. Should I rebleed teh brakes on teh #1 setting in hopes of getting #5 to be the tight spot and have it get progressivly tighter as the numbers go down?

I understand that this is a bit of a novel here, but I wanted to explain my situation in detail so people are not confused.

My setup is as follows: 2003 R1 calipers, master cylinder, resivoir, LP replacement brake lever, Goodridge SS lines.

P.S. I did not have any problems flushing and bleeding out the brake fluid, do I have no questions about how to get the air out of the lines. My brakes work great, but have this strange phenomenon. If it is the way it is supposed to be, then I have no problems, but if it is supposed to be doing something different, then please tell me what I should do to set it up right.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
it was designed for span adjustement only.(small and big hands)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... Well, Ill try playing with it some more and see what I can do. Its just odd that it is nice and stiff in #1 but mushy in #5. Ill try seting it up differently and rebleed the brakes again and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts