Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just got through bleeding my brakes and flushing the old fluid out and have a question about the amount of travel for the front brake lever. I'm confident that I removed all of the old fluid and air in the lines, as they feel firm when squeezing the brake lever. The Mityvac worked great.

I measured from the middle of the ball on the end of the brake lever from fully open, i.e. not touching the lever, to fully squeezed in. That distance came out to be approximately 1-1/2". Does this seem about right from what you can tell on your bikes? My bike is an 01, but it shouldn't be that much different between all of the models, as long as the levers are the smae length as OEM ones and the measurement points are the same.

Thanks for any help or info you guys can provide.

Cheers,
Scott

Here's the pic of the lever fully open:

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Scott,

That distance is adjustable on my '00 - little camed dial with numbers on the brake lever. Pretty sure it was the same for '01? Take a look and if you want it closer or farther, fiddle with the dial.

-Joe

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JoeC said:
Scott,

That distance is adjustable on my '00 - little camed dial with numbers on the brake lever. Pretty sure it was the same for '01? Take a look and if you want it closer or farther, fiddle with the dial.

-Joe
Joe,

Yes, it is adjustable. However the actual amount the lever moves, relative the grip should be the same regardless of what setting it's on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got it - you're asking about travel. My bad. One comment I'll make about that is on my '00, when I'm at track days, I adjust the lever out a bit. My brakes start to fade at the end of a 20-minute session - depending on the venue - and the travel increases more than I'd like. I bleed fairly often so I rulled out water in the fluid, but that's probably still part of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts