Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
66 Posts
throttle-cntrl said:
Who makes the best for a street and occasional track day application ? I do not want to take any chances on warping my rotors. I have been known to brake hard.

I also want to buy these online, who is best on price and delivery. Any advice appreciated.
The best we have tested as follows- PFC 01, 99, and 95 compounds - depending on the feel you are looking for. the 95 comp. has a steep torque curve- the 99, 01 comp. more initial bite with a flater torque curve. ( the vesrah super RJL is also very simmiliar to the 99,01 PCF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Re: Brake Pads - opinions ?

Chuck Graves said:
The best we have tested as follows- PFC 01, 99, and 95 compounds - depending on the feel you are looking for. the 95 comp. has a steep torque curve- the 99, 01 comp. more initial bite with a flater torque curve. ( the vesrah super RJL is also very simmiliar to the 99,01 PCF

·
Until it sleeps
5,422 Posts
Re: Re: Brake Pads - opinions ?

Chuck Graves said:
And u can use any of those on the stock rotors without worrying about eating them up, or warping them?

·
Until it sleeps
5,422 Posts
Just a bump...guna throw on some HEL or goodridge brake lines, didnt know if i should change my pads too. Would the PFC's be hard on my rotors?

·
No stunts and no posing!
1,862 Posts
PFC pads are MUCH better than the EBC Sintered HH pads. The PFC 95 pad has a soft initial bite and outstanding braking power that never fades. They are easier on the rotors than the EBC HH Sintered pads too.

If you want more initial bite, the PFC 99 compound is a good way to go. I have no experience with the PFC 01 compound that Chuck graves mentioned.

Most of the AMA teams have been using PFC pads. Even the teams that have other brake pad sponsor stickers on their bikes.

I am going to try the Carbone Lorraine "Racing" pads. They were used by most of the top teams in World Supersport last year. This includes the championship Honda bike. This is unusual since most Honda teams run HRC pads. These pads are currently being evaluated by several AMA teams. I'll let you guys know what i think once I get my bike and have a chance to run them.

Scott

·
twisty road x R1 = huge smiles
426 Posts
i have had 2 sets of carbonne lorraine sbk-3 pads and they were good but have now switched to ebc double h pads are they are better, , mind you i am using wave discs as well now !!

·
No stunts and no posing!
1,862 Posts
The Carbone Lorraine "SBK3" pads are not the pads I was talking about. The Carbone Lorraine "Racing" pads are the good ones. I don't know if they are better than the PFC pads I use now.

The EBC HH Sintered pads are junk. The backing plates warp easily. Put your bike on stands and try to spin the front wheel. It won't even spin one revolution. Also, when the used real hard in a racing environment, they get a wooden feel to them.

Wave rotors are a gimmick too. They do not work as well as regular rotors. A lot of racer friends of mine have tried the rotors and abandon them because of poor braking performance. I have ridden several bikes with wave rotors and I have not been impressed with brake feel or brake power. I guess they look cool though...

Scott

·
Dark Horse
3,031 Posts
I think the PFC 99 pads will be the way for me to go. I prefer the EBC HH pads over stock mainly because of it's initial bite, but I'm not too impressed with it's overall feel. I though the stock pads gave better feedback. I was also considering DP HH pads. Where do these rank in terms of initial bite and overall feel?

·
Until it sleeps
5,422 Posts
winders said:
The Carbone Lorraine "SBK3" pads are not the pads I was talking about. The Carbone Lorraine "Racing" pads are the good ones. I don't know if they are better than the PFC pads I use now.

The EBC HH Sintered pads are junk. The backing plates warp easily. Put your bike on stands and try to spin the front wheel. It won't even spin one revolution. Also, when the used real hard in a racing environment, they get a wooden feel to them.

Wave rotors are a gimmick too. They do not work as well as regular rotors. A lot of racer friends of mine have tried the rotors and abandon them because of poor braking performance. I have ridden several bikes with wave rotors and I have not been impressed with brake feel or brake power. I guess they look cool though...

Scott
Thanx scott!
BTW i thought the wave rotors were marketed more towards the weight loss u get by replacing the stock rotors. I wouldnt use them for racing, but on the street Im sure they r fine.

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
Now i am confused:confused:
I was told by several people to go for the EBC HH pads,They were suposed to be the best out there,I guess MCN rated them to 97 or 98 %.
Also a couble of world supersport teams use these i think,i know the Corona Suzuki team uses them:fact
Thats why i bought them,haven´t installed them yet tho

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
earlier today i put on goodridge hoses and some ebc hh pads and straight away there was a difference more bite and plenty of grip from the pads and still need to bed them in. :yesnod

Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.