Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off yes i've done searches but I must be looking for the wrong phrase because I can't seem to find much.

Here's the deal I have an 04 R1... ever since I got it it's had an occasional, almost like a slight shaking during certain breaking conditions. There is no pulsing in the lever so i'm assuming my rotors are true. It doesn't happen all the time from what I can tell, but does happen at various speeds. I think it may happen when the shocks are more compressed but not possitive on this. Now alot of the threads say it maybe the tire pressure etc. Since it wasn't really bad I had been too worried about it (yeah I know I should always fix my problems right away)... but anyways I've got a set of pilot powers for next year and the bikes going away for winter soon. My question is what are all the other things I should do while I have the bike away to fix this problem. BTW the front wheel does not seem to have any play in it when u pickup the bike on the sidestand.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
A few things I see cause this all the time are:

1) too little fork compression damping
2) excess fork rebound damping
3) excess sag caused by too little pre-load, or more commonly, a rider outweighing the stock fork spring rates such that no amount of preload will suffice
4) loose headset bearings, less frequently

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more than likely the outweighing thing... i'm around 215lbs now + gear... so yeah. I've got a friend at racetech i'll give him a call over winter. Are springs sufficent or do they have any valve upgrades I should be looking at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Figure this thread is old enough that I can Hi-Jack...

I got a '05 R1 recently. When I first purchased it, I immediately noticed that the headset was loose and shook quite badly under heavy deceleration, whilst skipping over breaking bumps. The guy I bought it from showed me how to properly tighten the headset. We did so with no problems.

I recently put new tires on the bike. They are a LITTLE outta balance. Only a little mind you. But, enough I can feel the front shaking around 70 or so. I am super paranoid and ultra-sensitive to such things. It doesn't get worse when you go faster, if that is even possible. I just don't notice it getting worse. I am also at the point where it is time to learn how to wheelie. What I am noticing is, damn near every ride I take I need to re-tighten the headset. This bike scares the shit outta me and I am afraid of looping it. So I close the throttle WAY too soon. Though I try not to let the front end smash the ground. Sometimes it does. Mostly when the front jumps into the air. I do weight too much for the bike (and most other things :D). My question is, should I need to be tightening the headset so often? We are talking about a few medium sized wheelies and heavy breaking when I am attacking the corners. I usually first notice that the headset is loose after only a couple of wheelies.

I also took out the rubber spacer between the headset nuts hoping that would help...it does not. My guy told me the correct tension on the headset nuts was around 5lbs. And I know that I shouldn't be doing wheelies. :) But, I wanna be like the cool kids.

I am truly hoping it is just that the front wheel is out of balance. Anyone know of any good advice for this problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts