Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have brand new Dragon Supercorsa III race tires... they're DOT approved so i can use them on the street.

I have not installed them yet, but i need your opinion.

Do any of you install brand new tires and start right on the track? i mean those slicks must be broken in.. do you do it at the track?

thanks

·
I'm getting old
1,502 Posts
:stpd: one lap scrub and then let rip.......

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u serious? dosnt it take wayyy more time to brake a tire?

like 100miles or something?

i dont want to go on an easy session getting close to crash everycorner, since i'm not that good and that will be the first time tracking the 1

·
I'm getting old
1,502 Posts

i dont want to go on an easy session getting close to crash everycorner, since i'm not that good and that will be the first time tracking the 1
If your running Dragon Supercorsa III race tires at your first track day you have no worries. Race tires will be good to go after one lap....

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
I put just a couple of moderate laps on a fresh set to get them up to temperature and rape them for the remainder of the day.
What he said.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts

You are talking track approved tires here. They will be ready in a couple laps for sure...but take weather into consideration too.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
That 100 mile stuff is out the window when you are talking track. Get good suspension settings, good tire pressure and temp, and run like you stole the thing. Between learning the lines and marks you will run plenty slow for them to warm. Once you get your confidence up you can run them as hard as you'd like.

·
Banned
557 Posts
With brand new tires and tire warmers (depending on track) I head at pretty much at 90% lap one. No issues, if its a track with mostly 100mph sweepers (Willow), I still give it one lap before I destroy it.

I used to be nervous about riding brand new tires at the track, so after I got them mouted I would leave the track, find a dirt area and do a few burn outs! Then just run up and down a road at moderate speeds to scrub the goo off of them.

Now, with tire warmers, I just rail out of the box, no worries, no issues, I use a Michelin Slick front and a Michelin race 190/55/17 (medium/soft) rear. Sticks like glue.

New rider + new tires + new track = 3 complete laps at 65% to be safe. You will be putting the first session anyways. Just take it easy the first session and dont try and prove anything. track skills dont happen over-night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.