Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2019 R1 brand new, and just had a question on the break in period. Once the bike oil warms up the bike has trouble getting going out of first gear, it like almost stumbles. I have to ride the clutch longer and give it quite a bit of gas. Is that normal with the break in oil because it’s thinner? The bike goes fine out of first before the oil is at full operating temperature otherwise. My first new bike that I’m breaking in and I am just not sure. I’ve had an R6 forever and decided to step to the big leagues with the R1. Any tips or advice would be great.

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
207 Posts
This sounds like the normal R1 "1st gear need to ride the clutch a little" stuff. I have a 09 and 16 and they are both kinda the same, thou the 16 spins up faster. U will get use to it. Congrats. Are you letting her get to temp? 124deg or higher...this might help, but the jumpy first gear is normal. The snatchy throttle is also normal because of how the mapping is done, which includes a good amount of engine breaking (less in this generation, more in the 09-14 gen). The throttle can be smoothed out tremendously if you get it flashed, especially if you choose to do it yourself with FlashTune because you can do you own mapping and make her perfect for your preference. Enjoy bro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you lamLa for the tips and opinions. I’m enjoying the heck out of the R1 so far and I’ll look into the FlashTune. I appreciate the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
JV_R1_2019
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing