Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to replacing the rear oem spec Dunlop D207 on my 2001 R1. It's not a bad tyre but wouldnt mind something that might last a little better, don't want to go backwards in grip though.

I've heard the Bt-010 are a dual compound construction tyre, harder in the centre. Dose anyone know roughly how long they last, better or worse than a D207?

What do they grip like?

I use my bike to ride to work, thats why I want something a little better wearing than the D207, but want the grip for weekends. How I long for those weekends.:D

Or can someone recomend something else?

My front is still like new how long dose the standard fron last?
:confused:

Also one last thing I remember seeing a tyre comparo on the net with everything you could imagine, any idea's I didnt bookmark it?:)

Thanks Heaps..................

·
My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
I also bookmarked the link above, but it isn't presently working. Here is another one:

http://www.my-yamaha-r1.co.uk/mcn-tyres.htm

This is an old article, but it contains a comparo of the D207 and BT010's.

I've had both on my Y2K, & here are my observations:

The Dunlops are more stable and provided excellent grip both on the street and the occasional trackday (both 190 & 180 on rear). I've been nothing but pleased with them.

The Bridgestones (180 on rear) are less stable, but more neutral, providing better turn in. Traction is fine, and you can't beat the price. They last longer, too.

If you don't have a steering damper, I'd recommend the Dunlops. If you do have a damper, try the Bridgestones.

As far as changing the front tire, I only change it every other time I change tires. In other words, 2 rears to each front. BUT, if you try the Bridgestones, get both front and rear. Don't mix & match (at least not until you get more experience with different brands & their individual characteristics)

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
I've got the Bridgestones on, and I had them on when I had no dampener, they worked great. I'm not sure if I understood your post completely, but make sure you swap both front and rear for bridgestones, not just your rear. BTW, a 180 rear will give quicker turn in. I'll never go back to D207's for the road.

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys............

Buying a set of BT-010 soon:D

·
I eat my R1
136 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about the BT-56's?

And if price weren't an issue (within reasonable bounds), what tires would you buy?

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bt-56's are old from what I've heard the BT-010's offer more grip and feedback, and even last longer with better stability.

People are saying they transform the R1.

:)

·
GO FAST!!!!!!:-)
26 Posts
:hellobye the BT-010. is very good.
looking forward to try out the new BT-012ss..:yesnod

·
True
11 Posts
I just changed my MEZ3's for a new set of BT010's. I've also had the D207's and can say that the BT's are awesome compared to the others. They turn in much quicker and feel more stable at high speed around corners. I don't have a steering damper either and at over 140 (short road) there was no instability at all. I love them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts