Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Avid two wheel therapy abuser
417 Posts
Amen! I always preach do it yourself. Most people don't like to hear that, so I held back on this one.:laughing:
Yep, just did the first oil change on the R1 a couple days ago and the knucklehead tech at the dealer who did the oil change when they took it in, overfilled the crankcase by half a quart the moron and also noticed a slight hum when pushing the bike backwards and turns out they over tightened the front and rear axles by a mile when they installed the new tires. I took everything back off, cleaned and lubed the axles and re-tightened down properly and the humming is gone. Yet another reason why I do all my own work, hard to trust these so called techs at shops these days. Only tech here in Denver that would ever touch my bikes would be Mike at QuikCycles and because he’s just as OCD if not more than me and he does incredible and realible work.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,015 Posts
how the hell do you screw up an oil change?

:no :(

·
417 Posts
how the hell do you screw up an oil change?

:no :(
You’d be surprised man and that’s my mistake for trusting them when I bought the bike and not checking through it all like I do with anything I buy new or not and I was in a bit of a hurry that afternoon cause I had somewhere to be but shouldn’t be an excuse. Went for a ride for a bit and came home, put the bike on the stands and started taking the lower shield pieces off, I looked up at the oil level window and that thing was beyond full, I was like wtf man... measured all the old oil on an empty Mobil 1 5qt jug I had from my cars oil changes and it measured nearly 5 qts, the bike took 4.3qts with filter change. I also popped the air filter housing off to make sure no oil was seeping through there with it being overfilled and just a bit made its way up but nothing major thankfully but cleaned that up and installed the Sprinter P08 filter while I was in there.

Bike is going in for a full proper dyno tune with Mike at Quikcycles in a month from now to get this thing smoothed out. I definitely called the dealer up and let them have a piece of my mind, they offered a free service but told them to just give me a parts credit for next time I needed parts for service and that I would take care of it myself. Those guys are definitely not touching my bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the video @bacchus40

I had a long running argument with the guy i used to fix engines with on lubing the back of bearings. Glad to see someone explain why it makes no sense. After spinning a couple of bearings, i ditched the lubing and never looked back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Engine Problem
I was on the way to work with my 2015 R1 and right when I was about to merge onto the highway on ramp, I heard a loud knocking sound coming from my engine. I went to the nearest gas station to make sure the oil level was fine and it was. I rode it back home about 4 miles. I took it to the shop where i purchased the bike and they said that it sounded like a rod. My bike has 6327 on the odometer and has had an oil change at 587 miles and another at 3385. has anyone else had a problem like this?

This was 3 years ago

·
417 Posts
Seems like spun bearings are a pretty common problems on these engines from all the posts I see. I’m at 6600 and sure hope I won’t be the next victim but good thing I have a top of the line extended warranty just for kicks but fingers crossed I won’t have any issues.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,015 Posts
Bike is going in for a full proper dyno tune with Mike at Quikcycles in a month from now to get this thing smoothed out. I definitely called the dealer up and let them have a piece of my mind, they offered a free service but told them to just give me a parts credit for next time I needed parts for service and that I would take care of it myself. Those guys are definitely not touching my bike.
let me guess they measured oil level with the bike on the kickstand! :fingr:

Seems like spun bearings are a pretty common problems on these engines from all the posts I see. I’m at 6600 and sure hope I won’t be the next victim but good thing I have a top of the line extended warranty just for kicks but fingers crossed I won’t have any issues.
yep, not happy to hear all of these issues..

there's a left over 16 R1 on the floor locally, this explains a lot :yesnod

·
417 Posts
let me guess they measured oil level with the bike on the kickstand! :fingr:

yep, not happy to hear all of these issues..

there's a left over 16 R1 on the floor locally, this explains a lot :yesnod
Doubt they even looked at the window, they probably just filled it up based on book or messed up in fill up and didn’t think it was that big of a deal, it happens all the time which sucks... yeah there are a lot of leftover R1 in floors for sure and it’s sad given you pay that much for a motorcycle you expect it to not have these kind of issues.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,015 Posts
if they used measurements found in the book, they would have gotten it right... :yesnod

i dont really use the window anymore.. i've got a handy measuring cup specifically for oil re-fills :lol

it has a close-open valve so i can fill up to exactly amount desired then just pour that into the engine.

usually takes a couple of goes due to size but its very accurate.

·
417 Posts
I’ve seen it before where measurements in the books get corrected from the initial numbers or the tech just reads the measurements in the books wrong, whatever the case was it’s unacceptable to overfill a crankcase

·
Registered
295 Posts
Seems a lots being made about over filling the oil. What's the danger apart from getting oil in your air box? Can it cause any engine damage?

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So just a quick up date. I was very suspicious about my compression test with the "Harbor Freight" engine compression tester because all four cylinders measured within 3 PSI of each other, but those measurements were just very low (90 -93 PSI). I did a little research and discovered that the compression tester that I bought has the pressure trapping valve all the way up the hose by the actual gauge. U can imagine how this will not work because on the down stroke (exhaust stroke) all the compressed air in the hose just leaks out the cylinder and there fore all the readings will come up short. I have a new tester ordered and will retest this Friday. With that sad, it does seem like the engine compression is fine and balanced, so apparently no valve damage has occurred, but I will know fore sure on Friday.

Quick question, If my girl spun a barring, I am correct in assuming that specific issue would not show up in a simple compression test...right?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
So just a quick up date. I was very suspicious about my compression test with the "Harbor Freight" engine compression tester because all four cylinders measured within 3 PSI of each other, but those measurements were just very low (90 -93 PSI). I did a little research and discovered that the compression tester that I bought has the pressure trapping valve all the way up the hose by the actual gauge. U can imagine how this will not work because on the down stroke (exhaust stroke) all the compressed air in the hose just leaks out the cylinder and there fore all the readings will come up short. I have a new tester ordered and will retest this Friday. With that sad, it does seem like the engine compression is fine and balanced, so apparently no valve damage has occurred, but I will know fore sure on Friday.

Quick question, If my girl spun a barring, I am correct in assuming that specific issue would not show up in a simple compression test...right?

I know what they did to find mine was drop the oil pan and test the rods for play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I know what they did to find mine was drop the oil pan and test the rods for play...

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that is on the list. I am cleaning the garage this weekend and putting up good lighting. If I have to rebuild her, I want to be able to see what I am doing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but, I got the call last week that the bike was ready to be picked up... $4,000 later, this is what they said was “fixed” No ****ing way is this fixed.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts