Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 18 years old and have a 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12R and would really like to get this problem fixed before snowfall and storage. Well anyways here is the story. Me and some friends from work go down behind a old shut down truck stop here in Toronto to do stupid stuff with are cars and bikes. We go here because it has a very large parking lot and no traffic. That is where this problem started. One of my friends from the army wanted to drag race my bike against his car to the end of the lot. So I said sure. He really could give me a good go. His car is a old Trans Am that has been modified to hell, it has a 426 Hemi engine in it. Pretty much if you put wings on it and it would take off and fly. When the time came to race he floored it and I twisted the throttle hard and my bike did nothing but choke, chugged, and choked again and then it stalled. Ever since then, when I twist the throttle hard its like it has no hp and it takes about a minute to reach 120kph. It has also begun guzzling down gas. But now a month has gone by and it has gotten worse. It is always chugging and stalling even when sitting at a steady idle. Another one of my friends who is in the army is a vehicle technician there. He has no clue what it could be and neither do any of my other friends. So that is why I am here to see if anyone knows what it could be before I go and put it into a shop. So if anyone could tell me what is wrong or might be wrong I would really appreciate it.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
OK lets start with how many miles are on it,it could be something as simple as needing a tune up. Oh Ya :machinegu WELCOME :machinegu

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Twisted.

Well there is about 13,000 km on it. I ride it a lot. Last time there was maintenance done to it there was about 8,000 km that was in the middle of June. When I blow my back tire and had to take it into a shop to get it fixed. When it was there I told them to check and change what ever was needed. They changed my oil my filter and some other small stuff but I cannot really remember what can’t find the bill. Some friends suggest that it is my throttle body, other friends say that there is major internal engine damage from me putting the RPM’s way in the red all the time and not just alittle bit sometimes I put the needle right of the scale. Its one of my bad habits. But I cant see that being the cause of this. But I don’t know I have not even been riding bike’s for a year so I don’t have much experience in fixing them.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I think that you've got a problem with leaking carburators. Check them up for wholes or cracks.

I got something like that on my RR '93..
it just died after 4500 rpm. I took my carburators apart and put everything together. It then worked again.

Check all the hoses.. one might've gotten unplugged after a wheelie attempt.

·
1,894 Posts
Well the rev limiter should stop internal engine damage but doesnt always,if it is a throttle body problem it should set a trouble code. Now on the other side you might very well have avalve problem since the rev limiter doesnt always do its job. Pull the spark plugs out and see if they are white or black and let me know

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
I doubt it's leaky carbs because the ZX-12R is FI. Take it to the dealer if it's still under warranty.

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spark plugs are not really white or black they are more so a tanned colour to a dark brown colour and they also had a fair amount of carbon built up on them.

·
1,894 Posts
Well I would start there fo sure,did you get some bad gas? Did it start soon after fill up? On a car if the plugs look like that it could be a sign of water in the cylinder but lets hope not.

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always put Hi-Test gas in it and not regular. That is what I was told to do to get good performance out of the engine and always out of the pump never gotten gas out of a canister. I am going to replace the plugs later today. But more then likely I will take the bike into a shop on the 30th. That is when I get payed. If it was something small I could fix it. But I think it is big that is why it will probably go into a shop because if it is a big problem it should be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing and not me.

·
1,894 Posts
I am glad to see you are smart enough to admit that,I am in the auto repair business and people always think "I can fix it " then it comes to me half torn apart and a greasy manual in the back seat:bash :bash

·
Back from retirement
81 Posts
Just wondering if you have ever put any octane booster
of any sort in it?,,,,, octane booster will make the bike run like SH!T and cause it to stall out like that

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope never put any kind of octane booster in it. But anyways it is in getting fixed so far the mechanic said it will cost about 400$ canadian not including parts.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
So the mechanics knows what the problem is if they can put a price?

What did they say?

Come back with what they find to be the reason for the weird mishapp in the engine.

·
Leaving You In The Dust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't really remember wasn't really paying any attention and I have already tossed out the bill, I just read them then throw them out. But he said something about valve damage. Not to sure how that would happen, but it cost me $650.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts