Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
So I remember one of the magazines having a comparison between about 7 light weight wheel set. Showing MOL etc. They all raved about all of them but BST looked the best. They put them on at the end and ran a bit slower lap times with the BST. They said they were WAY better but would need some time to reset suspension to get the most out of them. So what did anyone have to do to their suspension setting. Or does it require new lighter springs to get in the ballpark? Thinner oil? Just wondering what people had to do after installing them. I'm on an 06 and would not mind getting them.

Registered
I've got a set of these waiting to be fitted.

Did you need to use the spacers/plates that sit behind the brake discs on the standard wheels?
Or do you need to use any of the standard spacers for the wheel speed sensor rotors?

R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Registered
So I remember one of the magazines having a comparison between about 7 light weight wheel set. Showing MOL etc. They all raved about all of them but BST looked the best. They put them on at the end and ran a bit slower lap times with the BST. They said they were WAY better but would need some time to reset suspension to get the most out of them. So what did anyone have to do to their suspension setting. Or does it require new lighter springs to get in the ballpark? Thinner oil? Just wondering what people had to do after installing them. I'm on an 06 and would not mind getting them.
In general, because the wheels are lighter, you can soften up your settings a bit (preload, compression, and rebound - Rotobox suggest adding 10mm height to the rear of the bike for best results) - but no dramatic changes are required. Here is an independent test by the German Mag PS. It's translated, so it reads a bit strange in some sections. A couple things to remember: 1. The price of carbon has come down since this test, it's actually more price competitive than forged magnesium in many cases these days. 2. The Rotobox wheels tested where the RBX1 - they have since been replaced by the far superior RBX2 and now BOOST wheels.

Brocks Performance: Aftermarket Wheel Shootout feat. BST Wheels by PS Magazine

We have far more detailed suspension carbon wheel suspension/articles/test available on our site also - Go here under Reviews/News

Hope this helps,

Brock
Brocks Performance

Registered
I just picked up a set of BST wheels but have not had a chance to ride the bike yet, hopefully this weekend at Road Atlanta.

In order to avoid all the confusion when comparing wheel weight, I simply weighed the bike with stock wheels, then again with BST's fitted. The difference was 7 lbs even, a very nice reduction in unsprung weight. The aftermarket rotor reduced it another 1.1 lbs and titanium screws should reduce it another estimated 0.1 lb when they arrive. The quality of fit and finish was also very high!

So far so good, will report my impressions once I get a chance to ride it.

Attachments

R1 Rider & Coach
I went with the Rotobox RBX2 wheels on the R1

I put all Ti hardware rotor bolts, sensor ring bolts, cush bolts too. Light rotors front & rear. Lightened and drilled Driven 520 sprocket.

Unacceptable
I just picked up a set of BST wheels but have not had a chance to ride the bike yet, hopefully this weekend at Road Atlanta.

In order to avoid all the confusion when comparing wheel weight, I simply weighed the bike with stock wheels, then again with BST's fitted. The difference was 7 lbs even, a very nice reduction in unsprung weight. The aftermarket rotor reduced it another 1.1 lbs and titanium screws should reduce it another estimated 0.1 lb when they arrive. The quality of fit and finish was also very high!

Most excellent.

I've been agonizing which finish to go with if/when I order a set next spring (because tax return lol). I associate BST's with the standard high gloss but both their newer satin and matte finishes have really caught my eye. They give the bike a more "technical" look, if there's such a term

Registered
Went to Road Atlanta yesterday and tried the BST wheels for the first time. Funny thing is the bike felt exactly the same as it always has but I shaved 1.8 seconds off my best time there. Plus top speed and acceleration were both faster; my GPS lap timer recorded an increase of at least 2 mph.

This makes perfect sense to me since the effort level of riding faster was the same with these wheels as riding slower with the stock ones.

The biggest improvement (at least for me) was the braking zone going into 10A, I could very obviously go deeper into this turn which has an entry speed of about 170mph. The bike just plain stopped faster and easier than before. Very nice, can't wait for the next track day!

Registered
How did you fit the bst to your new bike? I have bst one my 12 and want to switch them over to my 16 model. I saw on here where someone did it already but theres no detail how they made it fit exactly, except stating they used spacers..

THEONEGTIVR6

7lbs?? Wow I thought it was more than 7 lbs. I'm guessing the things I've read have been way over exaggerated. I believe one of the last things I can remember reading was just the rear wheel alone weighed 7/9lbs compared to the stock being over 20lbs. While the front weighing in at 4lbs not sure what stock was but it had me thinking the weight savings was much more than 7lbs. I have wanted a set for a while and still do but I've sure read a lot of misleading info for sure.

I'm an Englishman in WI.
7lbs?? Wow I thought it was more than 7 lbs. I'm guessing the things I've read have been way over exaggerated. I believe one of the last things I can remember reading was just the rear wheel alone weighed 7/9lbs compared to the stock being over 20lbs. While the front weighing in at 4lbs not sure what stock was but it had me thinking the weight savings was much more than 7lbs. I have wanted a set for a while and still do but I've sure read a lot of misleading info for sure.
Don't forget he's comparing the difference on a 15+ which has different wheels to previous models, the difference might not be as great with those as with the old 5 spoke you have seen compared. :dunno

Registered
Did someone say BST's? https://www.motomillion.com/collections/yamaha-r1/products/bst-carbon-fiber-wheel-set-for-yamaha-r1-r1s-r1m-fz10 :D

Here is a set which we got for @Ibarra562 and also you can't forget the Brembo T Drives :nerd:

Brembo T Drive Rotors for Yamaha R1 / R1M : https://www.motomillion.com/products/brembo-t-drive-front-floating-brake-rotor-kit-for-yamaha-r1-r1s-r1m

Oh and if you fancy any other wheels than the BST's check out our growing selection: https://www.motomillion.com/collections/yamaha-r1/wheels

Attachments

THEONEGTIVR6
I'd love a set myself but really to be honest I can't afford them. I'm lucky just to be back on a bike at all. And even feel like I won the lottery with the unbelievably low mileage 04 r1 I found myself. I had been looking at bikes off and on for 2 years and everytime I seen one I knew could be the one it was gone immediately. When I found mine it had just been listed and I responded first. I also just picked up a 09 ninja 250 for the wife. She is loving it so far. Eventually I will own BSTs on my 04 nothing but the best. I think I'll buy one at a time for sure.

Registered
The best mod I ever made!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts