Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My name is Yogev, I am a student and my university is participating in the Formula SAE competition. For those who never heard about, Its an engineering competition between universities students around the world of building and racing a Formula car.
We are highly interesting in one of the YZF-R6 engine versions. My questions are:
1) Is there a preferred model (year) that is:
* Light weight
* Have a simple electricity requirement / don't have a lot of sensors.
* Have a performance options (without increasing the capacity)
2) Is there any benefit of turbo-charging a 0.6L engine (For example using Garrett GT15 or GT1241)?
3) The SAE rule:
"The engine(s) used to power the car must be a piston engine(s) using a four-stroke primary heat cycle with a displacement not exceeding 610 cc per cycle. "
4) In addition a 20mm diameter restrictor is located in the intake manifold.
Thanks in advance for your help
Yogev

·
Ditch Digger
397 Posts
1. As far as I know, the weights of the engines for the different years should be pretty similar. The 1999~2002 bikes were carburated, and the 2003 and beyond were fuel injected, with ride by wire throttle starting in 2006 and variable intake length in 2008.

The carbed engines are simpler, but the fuel injected ones are probably easier to tune, and I'm guessing the ride by wire throttle could be made to do some pretty interesting things for certain parts of the competition.

2. You'd get the same benefit from turbocharging as with any other engine, although I'm not sure how well that would work with the intake restrictor requirements. You could probably use the turbo to get more torque at lower RPM, but I don't really have experience with such a setup.

3. The R6 would meet all those requirements (piston engine and 599cc displacement for all years).

4. I'm not really sure what the question is here - you'd most likely need to design a custom airbox for your application and apply the restrictor in that design.

·
For no ma'am
2,609 Posts
The Yamaha R6 engine is really the best overall as far as performance is concerned.We offer a few engine upgrades if you choose this engine for your project. http://www.danosperformance.com/Yamaha R6 Superbike Package.htm Thanks Dan
Pardon my thread jack, but how many miles can you safely get out of the crate motor? I'm eventually going to want another R6, but would like a bit more power. Wondering if a race motor would be amenable to partial street duty?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since we use only the best quality components in our crate motors you can expect to get as many miles out of them as a stock engine.I must say that kind of horsepower and the assume handling R6 chassis makes for quite a lot of fun! Thanks Dan
www.danosperformance.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hailwood Can I put a supercharger on the engine?
Danosperf How well your products will work with a choked engine?
Regards
Yogev

·
Ditch Digger
397 Posts
Hailwood Can I put a supercharger on the engine?
Danosperf How well your products will work with a choked engine?
Regards
Yogev
Can you? Sure, with enough time and/or money you can supercharge just about anything.

Would it be worth the cost? I have no idea.

I'm not sure how many kits are available for the R6, but most of the super/turbo kits I've seen for motorcycles were really expensive (~$5000 and up). Even then you'd probably have to do some custom fabrication to make the kit work in an FSAE chassis. At that point you'd probably be better off sourcing the parts and fabricating the whole system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yogev, We never have used our performance upgrades along with a restricted intake plate.The bottom line is if the engine starts from a higher level of performance the final power output will be higher. Thanks Dan
www.danosperformance.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Danosperf
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing