Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Life Beyond The Fast Lane!
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from a 1100 mile round trip at about 80mph most of the way. Around 7K rpm steady throttle. On my return I noticed the oil light coming on. I would pull the clutch in and let the bike idle and it would go away. I did pull over once and noticed the level was toward the bottom of the sight glass. When I got home it took about a half a quart to bring it back up. Is this normal? I had 3K miles since the last oil change so figure a half a quart for 3K miles driven.

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:corn

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
did you wait for the oil to settle and the bike to cool off a little before you went throwing oil in it? the oil light will come on at certain lean angles and at steady high RPMS. one of the bad things about having an oil level sensor. versus and oil pressure sensor

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, it was Definentaly low.

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, all clean below. Just had fairings off to change oil. Just wondering maintaining 7K rpm for such a long period of time was maybe not a good idea?

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,137 Posts
What oil you running ? Constant high rpms oil gets thin,some oils burn off less than others too. I've added 8-10ozs pretty regularly to my '06 after running real hard for a few hundred miles (Mobil 1 MX4T) seems to use less with Amsoil. Mobil 1 15w50 car oil had the least loss from burnoff in a Sport Rider test a couple years ago. I always used it my '00 .

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,137 Posts
:stpd:

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Isn't your bike new? New motors will drink a bit.

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
you sure the oil was at the correct level to begin with?

·
Is there anybody out there?
3,989 Posts
All bikes burn oil. Some more than others. 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles is well within the norm. Don't worry about it.

Mark

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What oil you running ? Constant high rpms oil gets thin,some oils burn off less than others too. I've added 8-10ozs pretty regularly to my '06 after running real hard for a few hundred miles (Mobil 1 MX4T) seems to use less with Amsoil. Mobil 1 15w50 car oil had the least loss from burnoff in a Sport Rider test a couple years ago. I always used it my '00 .
Mobile1 4T

7 k isn't a big deal for a motor that red lines at 13,750.
I didn't think so either but what's up?

Isn't your bike new? New motors will drink a bit.
Just turned 7000 miles. Should be good and broke in by now. Ran Dino oil for the first 2500 miles.

you sure the oil was at the correct level to begin with?
Yes, it was full when it got changed at 4000 miles which is when I switched to synthetic.

All bikes burn oil. Some more than others. 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles is well within the norm. Don't worry about it.

Mark
Agreed and I won't. Just getting a feel for what other R1's are burning. I don't recall my 06 burning much at all and I sold it with 21K miles on it. I probably won't see this kinda burn with the riding I normally do. I think the constant high RPM for hours on end going through the desert mid day at 115 degree's running synthetic contributed to the burn.

·
Raise...
96 Posts
I have the some problem after keeping in at 299km/h for long time on the highway oil level went for full mark to half widow ( between full and low ) I guess is normal at that speed & rpm ..

·
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I would think so!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Got Asphalt?
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing