Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

Just looking for guys who have had the same issue. I’ve never had issues with 5vy engines prior however I keep cooking stators on a 2007 model particularly.

When the stator is replaced all the checks with wattage, dc voltage everything checks out as okay but I’m only getting short km outta each one. This one is sitting at about 600km and I have replaced headlights incase faulty, indicators, removed power commander, checked earths, checked wiring for any cuts or damage, kept battery trickle charged. I’ve tried a different regulator and the stator when replaced hasn’t lasted either. I haven’t changed flywheel however it is the ‘upgraded’ flywheel. If it was the older style with magnets exposed I’d have changed that also to prevent an issue with magnets letting go.

All I’m thinking is that when actually in use, the ‘stator eventually creates too much wattage’ and the regulator is getting too hot, not being able to deal with the excess wattage overtime and sending it back to the stator causing them to continually burn out. If this is the issue, has anyone had this same issue , overcome it, or suggest how I can overcome it?

Regarding quality of stators i have used have been Chinese , genuine and even rewound. So far I’m getting the longest use from a Chinese stator.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,083 Posts
Sorry, don't have any experience of the problems you encountered.

Probably there's different batches of components that are worse but my (early) -07 still have the original stator and rectifier/regulator and it passed 85kmiles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure how your charging output to batter was and from the stator. Try putting a new Yamaha oem Rectifier/regulator,thats where my money is at, they updated to a new version...plus new oem stator and an oem stator which I highly recommend because its one solid magnet. If its still frying up the stator, gotta bust out the multimeter and check for ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys,

Just looking for guys who have had the same issue. I’ve never had issues with 5vy engines prior however I keep cooking stators on a 2007 model particularly.

When the stator is replaced all the checks with wattage, dc voltage everything checks out as okay but I’m only getting short km outta each one. This one is sitting at about 600km and I have replaced headlights incase faulty, indicators, removed power commander, checked earths, checked wiring for any cuts or damage, kept battery trickle charged. I’ve tried a different regulator and the stator when replaced hasn’t lasted either. I haven’t changed flywheel however it is the ‘upgraded’ flywheel. If it was the older style with magnets exposed I’d have changed that also to prevent an issue with magnets letting go.

All I’m thinking is that when actually in use, the ‘stator eventually creates too much wattage’ and the regulator is getting too hot, not being able to deal with the excess wattage overtime and sending it back to the stator causing them to continually burn out. If this is the issue, has anyone had this same issue , overcome it, or suggest how I can overcome it?

Regarding quality of stators i have used have been Chinese , genuine and even rewound. So far I’m getting the longest use from a Chinese stator. View attachment 1012346
Hi!;)
Did you found whats burning stator....I have same sh**t and I cant figure out whats the problem is....

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
Could be the rotor if it touches the stator.

Reg/rec's fail. If it got hot in 2k miles, it could be bad. If the thermal paste wasn't top notch inside, it could be bad. Anything can happen, assume nothing.

If the harness is good, ohm the relays to ground and see if any have failed. Something is dodgy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also thought, maybe, rotor touches stator, but NO! Flywheel is new style with protected magnet. There are no signs of attrition om stator:rolleyes: I call many places and two guys said, its flywheel (sometimes magnets changing poles and bla,bla, bla...). Today, I ordered new flywheel. Maybe this will solve the problem ( if not, then probably next stop is at Yamaha service). Ok, I will try to measure relays and I hope, reg/rec still works (its expensive gadget😬).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did any one ever figure this issue out? I am going through the same thing with an 06 R1. Recently replaced the stator, rectifier and flywheel. All new OEM parts. Rode the bike maybe 3 times. The last time I rode about 140 miles and the stator has failed again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did any one ever figure this issue out? I am going through the same thing with an 06 R1. Recently replaced the stator, rectifier and flywheel. All new OEM parts. Rode the bike maybe 3 times. The last time I rode about 140 miles and the stator has failed again.
so it seems like there's a bad connection from the rectifier to the battery, but before I tell you to do some 14 gauge wire splicing and soldering if that's the case, what is your charging voltage at idle? it should be at 14v constant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it is, that is the #1 replacement you' ll have to do the rotor assy, also check your guys rectifier/regulator on your bike because it might be the wrong one or out dated, I found out that this was a big issue with my low charging output. In the picture below the original R/R that came with the bike is the top one that says (FH0 12AA) which is out dated I believe, and the new updated R/R is the bottom one (FH0 20AA) Part number 1D7-81960-01-00. After I got this new R/R replace it fixed my charging issue. Let me know if you guys have the R/R that says FH012AA on your R1 because i'm curious if it came stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone find solution , i have same pronlem , stator keep burning up , i checked amps on stator , on idle it draws around 20amp per phase , but from rectifier it goes around 8-10 amps ( few amps on batery ) can anyone measure amps on stator on bike thats ok ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah i know but there is nothing connected , a soon as i connect rectefier on stator , ( nothing conected on out terminal ) it goes up to 30amps per phase , when i connect out terminal id drops down to sround 20amps , as i go up on throtle over 11-12 000 rpm it goes up to 33 amp per phase , from rectefier to engine and acu around 10 amps , when i disconect rectefier , bike runs normaly on acu , there is no power surge

1 - 20 of 25 Posts