Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It was inevitable. (whatever the spelling) I Just finished building my own PC for the first time.
Here are specs if anyone cares...
2.8 P4
Abit IC7-G Motherboard
2-512mb PC400/3200 DDR Ram
nVidia 5600 Ultra
120Gb Seagate SATA hd...(which I think took a shit on me...I cant seem to install win '98 (from CD-ROM) or my DLed Win XP pro on a CD-R) Owell, guess I'll go get a WD or MAXTOR tomorrow.
Dont ever buy seagate, I thought I was getting a deal..it ended up being shit. Or..can anyone suggest an alternitive. Im havineg trouble puting the OS on the hd. On my DLed version of XP pro, it keeps saying "can't find XXX file, press crtl+alt+del to restart." If I try and do Win '98 it acts like it's going to install.. trys to format the hd and then takes a dump.
Owell, I cant have everything go right the first time I do it..its like a freakin rule.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
:thumbup

As far as HDD go, Ive NEVER had a single problem with Western Digital.
Maxtors on the other hand, have never worked for me at all. I think out of about 20 or 30 I have like 5 that havent suffered mechanical failuer.
Seagates have been OK, but Like you said, better to steer clear of them!
Another really good brand is Quantum. Only had about 2 or 3 die on me in the last 5 or so years.

If youre having problems installing your OS make sure all the steppings and frequencies are right.
It's not uncommon for the Chip or Memory to corrupt data if its running at the wrong speed.

Good on ya for getting it done yourself! :D
Its cool when its all finaly working.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gcain said:
:thumbup

As far as HDD go, Ive NEVER had a single problem with Western Digital.
Maxtors on the other hand, have never worked for me at all. I think out of about 20 or 30 I have like 5 that havent suffered mechanical failuer.
Seagates have been OK, but Like you said, better to steer clear of them!
Another really good brand is Quantum. Only had about 2 or 3 die on me in the last 5 or so years.

If youre having problems installing your OS make sure all the steppings and frequencies are right.
It's not uncommon for the Chip or Memory to corrupt data if its running at the wrong speed.

Good on ya for getting it done yourself! :D
Its cool when its all finaly working.
Im not to sure on what you mean by checking my frequecies. Guess I should look in my motherboard user manual.:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

1 - 20 of 58 Posts