Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Letter received from Yamaha Motor Corp. USA 11-30-07

Got a letter dated November 26, 2007 from Yamaha Motor Corp, USA, Cypress, California. today 11-30-07.

Our analysis of your YZFR1M-L Yamaha motorcycle with the VIN number xxxxx indicates that it was sold in California without being certified as meeting all California emissions standards for a new motor vehicle. Your motorcycle's emissions were certified to meet Federal emissions standards. However, due to the severe air quality issues of the State of California, motorcycles sold in California must meet more stringent standards than those sold in other states.

When your motorcycle was initially sold in California it was improperly registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV"). It is possible that at some point the DMV may refuse to re-register your motorcycle (VC 4750(c)). As a result, the Attorney General's office entered into discussions with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. to determine if there was any way that Yamaha could help remedy this situation.

Because of its appreciation and concern for you as a Yamaha motorcycle owner, Yamaha has voluntarily agreed to undertake a program to assist you. The Attorney General's office appreciates the support offered by Yamaha to aid in this situation.

The terms of the program offered by Yamaha are attached to this letter. If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact Yamaha directly at the number and address indicated in the attachment.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Group
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

Below is the attachment.

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A.
KATELLA AVENUE
CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA 90630-5101

800-962-7926

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A. CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM November 26, 2007

1. Contact Yamaha by calling 1-888-874-4876. Please be ready to provide your name, your address, your contact telephone number, your motorcycle model and model year, and your motorcycle's Vehicle ldentification Number ("'VIN").*

2. Yamaha will arrange to have a representative review your motorcycle in person.

3. Yamaha will use a starting valuation for your motorcycle of the average between the high and low prices for your motorcycle as provided in www.nadaguides.com. Yamaha will then adjust its offer based upon the condition of your motorcycle, the mileage on your motorcycle and any accessories that you have added to your motorcycle.

4. Upon completion of the evaluation, Yamaha will provide you with a written price at which Yamaha will offer to purchase your motorcycle.

5. If you accept Yamaha's offer, Yamaha will work with you to obtain possession of the motorcycle in return for a check to you for the motorcycle. You will need to provide clear title to Yamaha for the motorcycle, so any payment to you will be reduced by any monies that have to be paid to finance companies or other entities that may have a lien on your motorcycle.

6. If you do not accept Yamaha's offer, then you may continue to use your motorcycle. You may, however, contact Yamaha, at a later date to determine if this Customer* Assistance Program is still available to you. If the Program is still available to you, then Yamaha will go through the same steps to determine a new offer to you at the time that you ask Yamaha for this second request.

7. Should you have any questions, please contact Yamaha at 1-888-874-4876.

Ok....with all that said and done.
I purchased my bike brand new from San Jose Yamaha back in late 2000. I did a little research on the net and I found this information.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr121605.htm

http://www.caprep.com/1205034.htm

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/environmental-regulations/862669-1.html

Now I know the reason I got this letter from Yamaha, I have one of the bikes from
South Seas Cycle Exchange of Honolulu, HI.

What a pain in the ass. I wont be able to register the bike next year because it will get black listed with the DMV.

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
That does suck bigtime:no , you say though it's a 2000 right, is it paid off? If it's in good shape maybe they'll throw a halfway decent number at you, enough to put a substantial down payment on another one? What about registering in an adjoining state without the emissions guidelines?

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
The bikes 8 years old, the new R1s are sick as hell... Look at the bright side, now you have a reason to upgrade. Talk to the rep that comes to see the bike, make him understand your love for the bike and your not just any R1 owner, your an enthusiest and giving up this bike is hurting you in many ways. That should get him to add some extra dollers to the check, and you can move onto bigger and better.

·
3,723 Posts
The bikes 8 years old, the new R1s are sick as hell... Look at the bright side, now you have a reason to upgrade. Talk to the rep that comes to see the bike, make him understand your love for the bike and your not just any R1 owner, your an enthusiest and giving up this bike is hurting you in many ways. That should get him to add some extra dollers to the check, and you can move onto bigger and better.
+10000000000
at max youll add a grand or two and u can get yourself 04-06 EASY! This is actually good news

·
"It was me!!!"
3,072 Posts
do you have family out of Calif?

if you want to keep it, register it somewere else, problem solved.

there are no smog tests here in Utah,

I'd be happy to register it here for ya. at a small fee LOL

Im suprised you cant pay a smog impact fee, and be good to go.

My daughter bought a new car here and then took it to ca. it had federal smog not CA smog, Calif DMV said she had to pay the impact fee and that was it. i think it was 200 bucks... totaly worth the hassles youll save.

·
Wicked Clowns NEVER Die
150 Posts
:stpd:

If your going that way, see if something can be done about the intrerest to?. All in all its cool that Yamaha is looking out for us, theres harder ways to find these problems out:scared *:vanish *

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yea ....... I do really love my 2000 Yamaha R1 and I'm attached to it. The new bikes don't have the low end torque that the older bikes have. My bike is just like new.....has a pipe and its jetted deadnuts. I have :
  • Second Look Seat covers
  • custom powder coated wheels
  • Galfer stainless steel braided brake lines
  • suspension has been setup to my weight
  • Ohlins steering damper
  • integrated turn signal/brake led light conversion
  • Renthal 520 conversion with DID Gold chain
  • billet shorty brake and clutch levers
  • frame sliders and clutch protector slider
  • after market front turn signals
  • etc......
I'm forced to sell ..... if I keep it I wont be able to register it. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to keep it. Like one of you suggested to get it registered out of state. This is a mistake Yamaha made and I'll make sure they take care of me. I spent $13,241 on that bike back in late 2000. I still think its worth every penny if not more. This was the first time ever I had bought something brand new. I keep all my vehicles looking like new and I'm anal when it comes to maintaining them.

Some recent photos taken a month ago.

Attachments

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts
Better idea...

MOVE THE HELL OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!

There are other places with nice roads and good weather where you don't have to deal with a draconian law system, earthquakes, water shortages, brownouts, CHP, etc...

/can't understand why anyone lives there
//really can't...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the yellow wheels are cool looking. Before I saw the pics, I was saying to myself, big deal, sell it, get a new one. Now that I have seen the bike, I would move out of California just to keep it.

AK

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey CaliR1,

I got the same letter from Yamaha for my R6. Pretty f'ed up stuff, especially considering the amount of the lawsuit from the state.

Let me know if/when you talk to them and what they have to say/offer.

Good luck!

·
Bad Spellers...UNTIE!!
644 Posts
How many miles are on it?

Non CA bikes can legally be imported into the state, if they have more then 7500 miles on them.

Maybe you could find someone you trust who lives out of sate to help you out.

"Sell" the bike to your out-of-state friend for $1.
Your friend will have to register the bike in his/her home state (less than $100).
Give it a month for all the paperwork to settle.

Then buy the bike back for $1, and register it legally in CA.

It will cost you a couple hundred bucks and a HUGE pain in the neck. But you'll be able to keep the bike you want. I think transporting between sales will be the hardest part. Ideally, you live close to the border of another state, and it won't be too big a problem.

Rant:
I hate the DMV.
If you jump through some hoops (described above), you will be able to legally register the bike in CA. Why do they make you do that?
You have been legally registering in CA for six years.
It was NOT your mistake that caused the problem.

Why isn't there one reasonable person at the DMV who can look at how silly this issue is, in the context of the entire state, and simply make the right decision. Why is it that when they screw up, you get screwed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Since this was the first time buying anything brand new. Looking back now its becoming clear.....well here is my take on it. It was a red flag when I purchased the bike from San Jose Yamaha and they never gave me the warranty registration cards. I had found this out a year and a half later from Redwood City Yamaha. Then I decided I wanted the Yamaha YES extended warranty..... which I tried to purchase thru that dealer in New York....who everyone else was buying from because there was not any mark up. They were dumb founded and told me my VIN number didn't even show up in Yamaha USA's database and they could not sell the warranty to me. With that being said......that told me the bike wasn't even recognized as a U.S. bike. So for all I know it could have come straight from Japan and not even met the minimum 49 State Federal Emission standards, let alone the strict california emission requirements.

This is Yamaha covering up a really really bad mistake and now the consumer who paid big money for a new bike, who spent the time to customize/personalize his ride, now has to sell it back and go through the process of finding something used or new and redo all that?....... most likely they buy my bike or offer me some type of negotiation and probably get rid of it overseas. What a fiasco.....:fork:nforc:

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
I would just keep it as a track bike and look for something else for street use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the same BS letter too. Mine is a 1999 R1 and like u also got a ton of aftermarket parts. After almost 10 years on the road and now DMV wants to crack down on this...BS. Hopefully they will offer a decent buy back price for it and a can upgrade to a newer model but still will have to come out of pocket $2-3000 to do it. I wish I can move out of Peoples Republic of California but because of my job situation it isn't a option at this time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.