Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. I’ve always loved the R1 and now I’m ready to trade up from my Daytona 675.

I’ve bought and sold many bikes so I know what to look for in general but when it comes to a 2005 R1 I wondered if there’s anything special I should be aware of that only an R1 owner would know to look for? Anything special to be aware of for that model year?

Many thanks in advance.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,335 Posts
My favorite generation R1, the only real important thing to do on any 04/06&07/08 R1 is get the updated part # rotor. The rotor/stator assembly. The old stock rotor magnets tend to come unglued and then you end up with magnet shrapnel throughout your engine which then leads to a total loos if not cleaned out properly. The new updated rotor magnets are covered and not even able to come out. This is the first thing you need to do. I bought my updated rotor and sold my old one. There are people out there that just want the cheapest option possible and mine sold quick at 200. New updated rotor is 360ish. If this happens it will cost you so much more.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,335 Posts
My favorite generation R1, the only real important thing to do on any 04/06&07/08 R1 is get the updated part # rotor. The rotor/stator assembly. The old stock rotor magnets tend to come unglued and then you end up with magnet shrapnel throughout your engine which then leads to a total loos if not cleaned out properly. The new updated rotor magnets are covered and not even able to come out. This is the first thing you need to do. I bought my updated rotor and sold my old one. There are people out there that just want the cheapest option possible and mine sold quick at 200. New updated rotor is 360ish. If this happens it will cost you so much more. Here’s a link that shows the part I’m talking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New to this forum. I’ve always loved the R1 and now I’m ready to trade up from my Daytona 675.

I’ve bought and sold many bikes so I know what to look for in general but when it comes to a 2005 R1 I wondered if there’s anything special I should be aware of that only an R1 owner would know to look for? Anything special to be aware of for that model year?

Many thanks in advance.
I don't know where you're located but I'd trade me 2006 R1? It's simply too much bike for me, I'm in the midst of replacing the thermostat before I would do anything so you'll have a solid running bike. It has 24k miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a side note, the 05 and 06's have overheating issues, check the coolant like I'm the right hand side of the bike they Frey easy and leak, also as Jake said make sure you check the rotor on my first r1 was trash from the moment I bought it, I had issues starting the bike constantly and weird electric issues the whole life of the bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had an 04 and loved the bike. I didn't have any rotor/electrical issues. In fact I had no issues whatsoever. but as previously pointed out, you should probably update the rotor as there's no compromise when it comes to safety. Good luck with the purchase. You won't regret it.

-Moto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know where you're located but I'd trade me 2006 R1? It's simply too much bike for me, I'm in the midst of replacing the thermostat before I would do anything so you'll have a solid running bike. It has 24k miles.
Thanks Chaselyons. I’m in south london.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh no, i just stumbled upon this and i have an 06 50th, is there any way to find out if mine had been changed before i owned it, any help would be really appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am new to this site and lurking, this is my first reply.. i also have just recently bought my first (real) bike a 2005 r1 and i would also like to know how to tell if my gen has been updated without having to completely pull it out
this winter i plan on doing some modding. been searching site for a complete list..
is there a post with a complete list of every mod you can do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts