Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
free ballin
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
buying a new front tire does it have to be same brand ????

my front tire is long past due for replacement, so im going tomorow to get new one, i had just bought a new dunlop for the back, but want to switch to pilot powers now.

is there any problem with running A dunlop 208 on back and pilot power on front ?

,,,thanks

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
You could search...but i'll be nice and say...technically it does not matter. One tire will grip, warm up, and handle differently. Tires are meant to be matched so they will have the same height to them, similar grip and handleing characteristics and warm up times. It comes down to personal preferece though. I wouldn't do it though. But that's just me.

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
Sabian said:
You could search...but i'll be nice and say...technically it does not matter. One tire will grip, warm up, and handle differently. Tires are meant to be matched so they will have the same height to them, similar grip and handleing characteristics and warm up times. It comes down to personal preferece though. I wouldn't do it though. But that's just me.
:iamwithst

I always run the same brand and type of tires. I do not know if it really makes a difference but it's my preference.

·
free ballin
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would like to replace bolth at same time but dont have the extra cash,

thanks to you guys for the input...

if anybody has any problems with this set up please let me know.
,,,thanks

·
ccs#191
1,070 Posts
Shouldnt matter , my personal preferance is i wouldnt run the oposit combo,a stickier front VS rear is just fine.

Mismatched tires well ive run trackdays like that with no problems . About the only way you will face problems is if you have a suspension that is tuned to about a profesional racing level.

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
Sabian said:
. . . . Tires are meant to be matched so they will have the same height to them, similar grip and handleing characteristics and warm up times.
Yes, it does make a difference. Tire manufacturers go to great pains to design front and rear tires to match each other with certain characteristics to make them run properly. Example, my brother had a 2002 R1 and he put a Dunlop rear on his bike and had a Michelin front. The Michelin was a Pilot Sport and the Dunlop was a D207 (both tires were street compounds). He rode the bike for about 40 - 50 miles and them complained to me about the bike feeling funny. He asked me to ride the bike and give my opinion. So, I rode the bike, and sure enough, the front stuck, but the rear slid or wouldn't grip. The rear felt like it was washing out, sliding, or not gripping in the corners. At the time, I didn't know he had 2 different tire makes on the bike. I started to look at the bike and noticed the 2 different makes. I asked him when did his bike start feeling funny to him. He said it started today. I asked him when he put the the rear tire on (because I noticed the front was worn but not the rear), he stated a couple of days ago and hadn't riden the bike until now. I told him it was because of the mismatched tires, ie. Michelin Pilot and Dunlop D207. He replaced the Dunlop with another Michelin Pilot Sport and the problem went away.

·
Registered
776 Posts
if your an average joe rider it wont matter. if your a good all around rider but dont push it that much in the corners it wont matter. i always run a softer compound in the front so when i come down from wheelies the tire catches right away. i rarely change my tires at the same time. if i did that i would be broke becuase i get about 2 back tires per every 1 up front.

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
jborino21 said:
if your an average joe rider it wont matter.
You're right, it doesn't matter. If cost is your issue, that's fine. You can mix and match any tires in any combination of manufacturers or sizes that you like. BUT, you can tell the difference. Even a newbie will feel the difference, but they most likely won't know what it is causing the strange feeling of the bike or how to ride it safely. If they are smart, they will just slow down. The bike always gets blamed, not the idiot behind the bars. It's safer to run matched sets of tires because that's the way tires are designed!

·
The Yellow Peril
308 Posts
I run a pair of Dunlops on my '05. A 218 front and a 207RR rear. The handling is an improvement over the matched rear 218 standard set up. I've left the front as standard as winter is around the corner and I don't want to square a decent tyre off riding upright for the next couple of months. As soon as there's a hint of decent weather I'll match up with a 207RR front. The rear was replaced due to a puncture and there was no way I was going to put a 218 back on the back. Absolutely crap tyres.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts