Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EEhhEhEhhEEEHHmmmm Ehhhmm. mmm.

Let me begin by saying the heck with Covid for delaying the ECU crack on the R1.

And also that given the choice, I would wait for the ECU flash. But my race plastics shipped and now the CAT needs to gooooo.
Yamaha (2).jpeg

THAT BEING SAID.

I have only ever had my track /race bikes flashed, and brought to the dyno. What am I getting into with this kit ECU? Any and all advise is welcome. And before you come at me for getting a ecu I will never fully utilize... I KNOW, I WANT A FLASH BUT SO DOES EVERYONE. That being said I'm done waiting.

My main questions:
  1. Will the kit harness relocate the ECU?
  2. Does the kit ECU or Harness remove ABS permanently?
  3. Can all the YRC settings sill be independently adjusted and are functional? Including Power modes?
  4. Can any MC tuning shop with a dyno tune it, or is there something special I don't know?
  5. and finally... Are these the only 2 parts you need to run the SST mode? Do I need a New Dash?
    Annotation 2020-08-17 184052.png
Thanks Boys. Cheers.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,413 Posts
One member attempted the install. Lets see if he chimes in...

His thread ...death of an R1 covers some of it.

I think you need to reach out to a tuner race shop to get the all your questions answered.

I see the invoice pics are euros, so I suggest you email YART. Mandy is very helpful via email there. He will get you on the right path with that kit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured I would have to talk to a shop for all the details, was really hoping that someone who has done it could give me a quick rundown. I had no idea that R1 riders were so goddamn patient:LOL:.... So few people have done it outside of the professional racing community.. I'm going to feel like a damn fool if I buy this and the flash comes out in like 3 weeks

·
Registered
133 Posts
To answer your questions
1) The kit does not relocate the ECU. It does include a different mount though, I'm assuming for weight savings. But you could use the OEM one if you want. It does relocate the rectifier from the front by the fuses to the side of the right subframe

2) No. The ABS is bypassed but unless you have an ABS delete module you will still need to keep the ABS connected to the harness even if you don't have it actually connected to the calipers.

3) Yes

4) If they have the communication cable and software yes the ecu/bike can be dyno'd and tuned. but again they would need the cable and software. The software comes with the kit but I forget if the cable came or I ordered separately

5) Depends. if you aren't going to need lights, the electronic suspension or do any custom tuning then you only need the ecu and harness. But if you want lights and the suspension there are 2 additional parts needed.

you can download the office manual from to see what's involved and required. You can also have your local shop take a look as well to see if it's something they would do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer your questions
1) The kit does not relocate the ECU. It does include a different mount though, I'm assuming for weight savings. But you could use the OEM one if you want. It does relocate the rectifier from the front by the fuses to the side of the right subframe

2) No. The ABS is bypassed but unless you have an ABS delete module you will still need to keep the ABS connected to the harness even if you don't have it actually connected to the calipers.

3) Yes

4) If they have the communication cable and software yes the ecu/bike can be dyno'd and tuned. but again they would need the cable and software. The software comes with the kit but I forget if the cable came or I ordered separately

5) Depends. if you aren't going to need lights, the electronic suspension or do any custom tuning then you only need the ecu and harness. But if you want lights and the suspension there are 2 additional parts needed.

you can download the office manual from to see what's involved and required. You can also have your local shop take a look as well to see if it's something they would do.
Awesome info thank you for the reply, by custom tune do you just mean fuel tuning via Dyno or do you mean custom tuning the YRC settings like traction control etc? Thanks again. It's a full-time track bike so I don't need any of the street equipment. But obviously I want all of the features I paid for.

I'm assuming you mean fuel tuning, so does that mean that you only get the two maps but super stock and the superbike? Do you know if the superstock is maps for a specific set up? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dino?!?!?! What we back in the flintstones!?!??!!? sorry couldn't resist that. Custom tune I meant if you were planning on have the bike dyno'd and tune for your bike specifically If not then the kit comes with two maps. Unless you have major mods on your motor you'd use the SuperSport map. They were build with Akrapovic systems. You still have full functions to the modes but obviously not ABS. There would be no reason for flash because the kit ecu removes all the OEM restrictions in reguards to power, throttle, etc....... The thing is just read the manual and it will pretty much tell you everything you need to know

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm so close to doing the same thing.Curious to hear the results. Happy to see someone slightly less patient than myself:).So frustrating

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i just posted about the ECU today. Have you installed and used it yet? cause I am thinking of purchasing it for my 2020 also. it will be strictly my track bike too

·
Crash OverRide
1,355 Posts
What’s the feed back on this. Curious too on how well this went.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late reply boys, it ends up harder to get a hold of than I thought. There are only certain Windows during the year in which you can order them from gytr. (I was given this information from MRP Motorsports in Maryland) anyways, I just got word yesterday that they ordered mine . It ended up being $2,200 for the parts. Now I am deciding whether I want to run on 93 pump gas or mr12 for the next race season. Probably going to pick pump gas because I'm a broke b****. In any case I will update.

I had a long talk with MRP Motorsports about all the options for fuel tuning the 2020 R1, and between his tuning experience and my riding experience we both agreed that there is no option for a serious race build other than a flash tune or a full wiring/ecu kit. All of the piggyback units will not control low enough in the throttle mapping to do maintenance throttle during corner entry and corner Apex. And because they are only tuning the fuel air mixture, when the traction control and slide control kick in it could be very abrupt because they will be operating their parameters off of the OEM air fuel mixture. So once you have adjusted your air fuel mixture, in order to have a smooth and proper traction control you have to adjust the timing and the traction controls parameters as well. This is only possible when modifying the ECU by a flash or replacement.

He and I race together, so he was very straightforward with me. The ECU flash is not expected to be out until the middle of next year at the soonest. He told me he would not be surprised if it was later than that.

Anyone has any questions let me know. Looks like it'll be two or three weeks before the install happens so I will keep you guys updated as that goes on

·
Beastmode!
40 Posts
Sorry for the late reply boys, it ends up harder to get a hold of than I thought. There are only certain Windows during the year in which you can order them from gytr. (I was given this information from MRP Motorsports in Maryland) anyways, I just got word yesterday that they ordered mine . It ended up being $2,200 for the parts. Now I am deciding whether I want to run on 93 pump gas or mr12 for the next race season. Probably going to pick pump gas because I'm a broke b****. In any case I will update.

I had a long talk with MRP Motorsports about all the options for fuel tuning the 2020 R1, and between his tuning experience and my riding experience we both agreed that there is no option for a serious race build other than a flash tune or a full wiring/ecu kit. All of the piggyback units will not control low enough in the throttle mapping to do maintenance throttle during corner entry and corner Apex. And because they are only tuning the fuel air mixture, when the traction control and slide control kick in it could be very abrupt because they will be operating their parameters off of the OEM air fuel mixture. So once you have adjusted your air fuel mixture, in order to have a smooth and proper traction control you have to adjust the timing and the traction controls parameters as well. This is only possible when modifying the ECU by a flash or replacement.

He and I race together, so he was very straightforward with me. The ECU flash is not expected to be out until the middle of next year at the soonest. He told me he would not be surprised if it was later than that.

Anyone has any questions let me know. Looks like it'll be two or three weeks before the install happens so I will keep you guys updated as that goes on
Any updates?

Reactions: gotzym

·
Registered
133 Posts
FYI Bazzaz has both injectors working now. But to do that their system requires a mod to the OEM harness. Basically the hang up has been that Yamaha used different connectors for the lowers. So Bazzaz' solution was to replace those connectors with something more standard. I have the new updated harness but ended up installing the kit ecu/harness. In the process of doing that now. Not to be negative but when I read about that Nov date I really didn't bank on it. I've been hearing close, next month for over almost a year now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
got back working on mine. got it installed but have a few questions. you can find my progress on this thread Since you are having a shop do yours I'd really like to see how they approach a couple things. specifically
  1. Ask them to verify and name the connections the kit doesn't supply. I know it removes the lights but the items below where connections that were left hanging
    1. Radiator Fans
    2. O2 sensors
    3. Key/Ignition
  2. How they approach the ON/OFF situation. As mentioned above the ignition isn't used, but it doesn't map to the right bar start/stop switch either. There is a line with a cap. I found out the hard way when I connected the battery to find the live circuit. But that's your on/off switch pull the cap=off / install cal=on The connector doesn't match the connection for the ignition.
  3. The ecu bracket is different I'm assuming for weight savings, but the OEM has a huge heat shield while the kit doesn't. The OEM is plastic and not very vented. While the kit is metal and has vents.just curious if if's something that should be concerned about

Keep in mind if you haven't the kit bypasses the ABS. So you will have to change your brake lines if you haven't but will need to keep the ABS unit inline unless you have an ABS delete (FTEcu has these)

·
Registered
290 Posts
FYI Bazzaz has both injectors working now. But to do that their system requires a mod to the OEM harness. Basically the hang up has been that Yamaha used different connectors for the lowers. So Bazzaz' solution was to replace those connectors with something more standard. I have the new updated harness but ended up installing the kit ecu/harness. In the process of doing that now. Not to be negative but when I read about that Nov date I really didn't bank on it. I've been hearing close, next month for over almost a year now.
Thanks for the info, I called Bazzaz to get the 411 on this. They don’t have maps yet but in a few weeks they should be ready. I’m going this route until Ftecu comes up with a ecu flash.

·
Registered
133 Posts
well that delay is kind of my fault :) They created the original 3/4 system with my pipe. I think they have the full already for the new harness. I was going to let them use my bike to create the 3/4 map once I had the unit installed with the new full harness. But got a bug while starting the install and ended up going back to trying the kit ecu/harness in there. I'm going to call them early next week and talk about the map. I don't know how the maps are created. If they can still use my bike w/kit ecu to create the map then I'll drive up and let them do it. But I have a feeling they won't be able to. Hopefully a map is map and it's just a matter of formatting for a platform (Bazzaz, dynojetc, etc.....)

·
Registered
290 Posts
well that delay is kind of my fault :) They created the original 3/4 system with my pipe. I think they have the full already for the new harness. I was going to let them use my bike to create the 3/4 map once I had the unit installed with the new full harness. But got a bug while starting the install and ended up going back to trying the kit ecu/harness in there. I'm going to call them early next week and talk about the map. I don't know how the maps are created. If they can still use my bike w/kit ecu to create the map then I'll drive up and let them do it. But I have a feeling they won't be able to. Hopefully a map is map and it's just a matter of formatting for a platform (Bazzaz, dynojetc, etc.....)
Thanks, can you keep me updated? I’m running a 3/4 Akropovich currently on my ‘20 R1. I‘ve been considering the Rapid Bike EVO but that system only works with the secondary injectors.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did you find the PCV a decent piggyback? I think I read you had problems with it throwing codes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't have the PCV. Like everyone else I was originally waiting for a flash. Then I went with Bazzaz. They aren't far from me so I drove up and dropped off my Akra 3/4 for them to use for the original kit. I'll update next week

·
Registered
133 Posts
@Ferg27 Since a shop is doing yours you may not need it, but found my answer about the on/off situation. There is an ignition switch that can be purchased for the kit harness. I ordered it but from the looks of it doesn't seem like something a race shop wouldn't already have or would have any problems making. Just thought I'd give you a heads up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts