Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Beastmode!
40 Posts
got back working on mine. got it installed but have a few questions. you can find my progress on this thread Since you are having a shop do yours I'd really like to see how they approach a couple things. specifically
  1. Ask them to verify and name the connections the kit doesn't supply. I know it removes the lights but the items below where connections that were left hanging
    1. Radiator Fans
    2. O2 sensors
    3. Key/Ignition
  2. How they approach the ON/OFF situation. As mentioned above the ignition isn't used, but it doesn't map to the right bar start/stop switch either. There is a line with a cap. I found out the hard way when I connected the battery to find the live circuit. But that's your on/off switch pull the cap=off / install cal=on The connector doesn't match the connection for the ignition.
  3. The ecu bracket is different I'm assuming for weight savings, but the OEM has a huge heat shield while the kit doesn't. The OEM is plastic and not very vented. While the kit is metal and has vents.just curious if if's something that should be concerned about

Keep in mind if you haven't the kit bypasses the ABS. So you will have to change your brake lines if you haven't but will need to keep the ABS unit inline unless you have an ABS delete (FTEcu has these)
Nice work!! Quick question, were you able to use the OEM throttle controls or did you go with the aftermarket buttons? Also, did you consider the woodcraft keyless harness? probably the most ideal option for a race bike. I just found out I won't get mine until March, all good that will be the last step. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. New to the forum and to the 2020 R1.

Like a lot of guys I got sick of waiting for the ECU to be cracked and got the GYTR ECU and Loom.

It was actually not a difficult install. I did make one mistake where I copied where the standard loom runs outside the frame close to the ECU. On the kit loom it runs inside the frame(i guess to keep it from getting damaged in a crash situation).
I'm not a big fan of the kit ecu being mounted in the original position even though there is a beefier mounting bracket provided with the GYTR kit.
There's a company that sells extension cables so that the ECU can be relocated under the seat if the ABS pump has been removed(which I have done) so that'll be my next step. I needed to get the ABS delete plug even with the kit loom.

I went with the race switches from YART which includes the throttle housing and it looks very smart and a lot more robust.
For the ignition i went with a jetprime switch which fits in the yoke when you remove the original ignition barrel.
I've just a bit of tidying up of the wiring around the front left as regards the ECU and Loom install.

I'm just waiting on my dyno guy now and hopefully see some good results.

·
Venom X/O
24,874 Posts

Like a lot of guys I got sick of waiting for the ECU to be cracked and got the GYTR ECU and Loom.

It was actually not a difficult install. I did make one mistake where I copied where the standard loom runs outside the frame close to the ECU. On the kit loom it runs inside the frame(i guess to keep it from getting damaged in a crash situation).
I'm not a big fan of the kit ecu being mounted in the original position even though there is a beefier mounting bracket provided with the GYTR kit.
There's a company that sells extension cables so that the ECU can be relocated under the seat if the ABS pump has been removed(which I have done) so that'll be my next step. I needed to get the ABS delete plug even with the kit loom.

I went with the race switches from YART which includes the throttle housing and it looks very smart and a lot more robust.
For the ignition i went with a jetprime switch which fits in the yoke when you remove the original ignition barrel.
I've just a bit of tidying up of the wiring around the front left as regards the ECU and Loom install.

I'm just waiting on my dyno guy now and hopefully see some good results. View attachment 1017579
Pure sickness!!

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,417 Posts
Thata boy Gabe. Go big!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,417 Posts
Unfortunately I've gone far bigger than initially planned.
My initial plan was throw a set of fairing on, flash ecu and a 3/4 exhaust.

It's kind of snowballed to a very expensive build
No Ragrets

Not even 1 letter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Beastmode!
40 Posts

I'm just waiting on my dyno guy now and hopefully see some good results. View attachment 1017579
Nice! Looks good, I have the same exact set up as you I'm just waiting on my kill switch to arrive. I left the OEM ECU bracket on because I didn't like the way the wires were exposed. Once you clean up the wires where the stator used to be mounted can you post some pics? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice! Looks good, I have the same exact set up as you I'm just waiting on my kill switch to arrive. I left the OEM ECU bracket on because I didn't like the way the wires were exposed. Once you clean up the wires where the stator used to be mounted can you post some pics? Thanks in advance!
Absolutely. There's a company called Velox Racing that do the extension cables to relocate the ecu.
You have two order options.

1 - Relocation where ABS pump was situated.

2 - In the tail unit.

Im going with option 1 as i junked the pump and removed the lines.
I hate having any unneccsary hardware on the bike

·
Beastmode!
40 Posts
Absolutely. There's a company called Velox Racing that do the extension cables to relocate the ecu.
You have two order options.

1 - Relocation where ABS pump was situated.

2 - In the tail unit.

Im going with option 1 as i junked the pump and removed the lines.
I hate having any unneccsary hardware on the bike
Yes, I'm with you I like option 1 since I have an empty space there now. I appreciate the info!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts