Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Illuminati
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Either going with the Pilot Sports, Pirelli EVO's, ME Rennsports, or BT010. I am leaning toward the Pilot sports.

I don't go to the track but will push it on the street somtimes. I have heard good things about all of these.

Thankx

· Illuminati
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice......anything must be better than what I have now.

Dunlop 200/50/17 with the wires showing!

· My R1 ate my R6
2,536 Posts
If I was getting a 180, I'd get a Michelin Pilot Race H2. If I were sticking with the 190, which is what I plan to do, I would (and will) get a Dunlop D207RR. Dunlops are good tires and I don't think AMA would use them so much if they weren't. My dealer told me the D208s that came on the R1 were basically just a replacement for the D207ZR. I think they do hook up better than the 207ZR's I ran on my R6, and he said the 207RR will hook up a lot better than the 208. :D

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
196 Posts
i've ridden the dunlops and michys back to back and found the michys a lot more confident inspiring. both tires felt about the same on grip however i've seen the dunlops go out in about 3k miles, michys always lasted me more than 5k

· European Freak :)
126 Posts
R1ZOOM said:
If I was getting a 180, I'd get a Michelin Pilot Race H2. If I were sticking with the 190, which is what I plan to do, I would (and will) get a Dunlop D207RR. Dunlops are good tires and I don't think AMA would use them so much if they weren't. My dealer told me the D208s that came on the R1 were basically just a replacement for the D207ZR. I think they do hook up better than the 207ZR's I ran on my R6, and he said the 207RR will hook up a lot better than the 208. :D
well over here in germany yamaha got forced to replace the dunlops because of less grip (sad but true... during a test for a motorcycle magazine a reporter wrecked his testbike )

and to the pilot RACE : they need a long time to warm up , and i'd recomend either the pilot sport , MEZELER rennsport or something like this ( if they aren't too expensive )

good luck !

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I ended up going with the D207RR, but I hear the Pilot H2 are very highly recomended.

· My pastime
111 Posts
I would not go with the Bridgestone 010's if you are going to ride hard on the street. My friend crashed last week on these on the street. We both have them on our bikes, he crashed and I didn't , but I am goin with the Michelin Pilots next. I strongly believe that the 010's were at fault for his crash. His front tire slipped and never regained traction and this resulted in a slideout. It did quite a bit of damage.

· Illuminati
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

I went with the Pilot Sports. 190 on the back.

Both front and rear $274.24 shipped from parts411.com.
That was the best I could find.

Well come on 5 o'clock time to :beer

· Get The Hell Outta My Way
565 Posts
well over here in germany yamaha got forced to replace the dunlops because of less grip (sad but true... during a test for a motorcycle magazine a reporter wrecked his testbike )
Hey axellacht, was this on an '02 R1, meaning they had to replace the D208L's? Any other details?

Thanks!

· If you can do it, so can I!
205 Posts
I just today put on a Metzler meZ4. I had a pilot sport and it was great but i had mez4's on my old bike and they were great too.

By the way be careful at lunch I wasn't thinking about it and almost busted my ass.:iamwithst

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
R1ZOOM said:
How do you like the 207RR CHAMPION?
I haven't put them on yet. I will probably put them on next month, but I'll let you know :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.