Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· I'd rather be riding
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my silver '02 only made it about 1600 miles. I rode it home from Montana last weekend to Minnesota on Sunday. On Monday afternoon, my dad took the bike to go into town and mail his taxes. It is about 7 miles away. A half an hour later, my mom calls to find out what color my new bike was. It was laying in the middle of the road and my dad was on the ground being worked on by the medics. He ended up with a broken collarbone and a nasty concussion. He still doesn't remember at all what happened. I am so glad that I strongly encouraged him to put on a helmet before riding. He will be okay to ride again another day.
The bike on the other hand will probably not live to see another ride. I got the estimate back on Friday. The grand total was $8700. I called the dealership in Montana and they got another silver one in and will give me the same deal, $9500 out the door so it won't be real tough to replace the bike.
Looking at the scene of the accident, we have tried to reconstruct what happened. I think that it was caused in part due to the Throttlerocker that was on the bike. He wasn't used to it and got more throttle than he wanted. You can see the track where the rear tire was spinning and then the next mark was where the side of the bike hit the pavement when it highsided him over on his head. He has been riding bikes for over 35 years and has logged quite a few miles on my '99 R1 and also on my '97 Honda CBR F3.
Be careful out there.

· Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Glad to hear he came out that well.

· Registered
778 Posts
dunhamg said:
Here is their site:

http://www.throttlerocker.com/info.html

I really like them for reducing the strain on my wrist for the long rides I do, but I must admit they do take a bit of getting used to.
I'd never heard of one of them before either. I have never had a problem with normal throttle on any of my bikes.

I can see why your dad would not be used to it.

:bs

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he gets well soon !!

· Ree-peat 0-fender
1,321 Posts
Glad to hear your dad is doing well, hope your dad makes a speedy recovery.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put a gadget like that on my throttle. If something were to ever happen mechanically to cause that thing to catch or stick the throttle into partial or wide open...watch out.

Besides, I like having my wrists on the handle bars at all times regardless, what if you need to make a quick reaction?

I think I will leave the cruise control off my bike, and use the good ole wrist.:yesnod

· JUST ....SHUT-UP and RIDE...!
148 Posts
:( sorry to hear about the your father and your bike...the good thing is he is all right:yesnod thebike can and will always be replaceable,the wraith of the 02 R1 ........:eek: LIVES ON..........."BEST WISHES " to a speedy recovery for your dad !!!!!!!:thumbup

· The R1 Rocks!!!
167 Posts
Its good to know your Dad is fine:thumbup I wish him speedy recovery.......but....a throttle rocker on a R1 ??the device looks more suitable for a ZX11,Pan pacific or some kinda tourer bike man....not on a R1 for heaven's sake!! This is always the case......we gotta know what you're getting the bike for....if you're gonna tour or have long rides...you geta sports tourer,the least.if you're gonna do sport riding..get the hyper sports....you can't try to make the hyper sports into a long distance tourer and vice versa......you're defying the purpose of the bike.poor old man.........a throttle rocker on a R1......still can't figure out.........what for?

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
dunhamg said:
I am so glad that I strongly encouraged him to put on a helmet before riding.
I find it astounding that anyone, especially someone with 35 years of riding experience, would need strong coaxing to compell them to wear a helmet while riding.

· Catch me if you Can
246 Posts
dunhamg said:
I got the estimate back on Friday. The grand total was $8700. I called the dealership in Montana and they got another silver one in and will give me the same deal, $9500 out the door so it won't be real tough to replace the bike.
Let me get this right your insurance only gave you 8700 for a $10200 bike? :mad: Man if that is so what a rip off by the way hope your dad gets better, makes me think twice about my dad.:lol I love him too much to be able to deal if anything happened to him

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
The way I read it, the repair estimate was $8700, not the insurance check. That's essentially a totalled bike. BTW, once it's ridden off the lot, it's no longer a $10,200 bike.

· I'd rather be riding
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's right, the estimate was $8700, I am still waiting to find out exactly what the deal will be from the insurance company. It will be a total I'm sure which means I could probably buy back the wrecked bike for the salvage amount or they will get the bike and pay the market value of the bike.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hey Grady-
Im from Great Falls too, im pretty sure we met once or twice, but Jim (dumbass) used to talk about you alot...well just noticed that your in ND too, im in Grand Forks for school, but just wanted to wish the best for your dad, and glad Steve treated you right with the bike.

Tony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.