Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought my bike (02 R1) from the dealer, for some reason way up here in Maine. lol They had a left over california model? I had no idea till i looked at the paper work. Then i saw where it came from. I would wondering is there anything different emisions wise or what not? I have no idea and heard rumors but that all they have been is rumors. If anyone know's a difference if their is one? could you tell me and if so, also will it affect power or anything, thank you

·
Watcher of happenings
240 Posts
i belive it has a smog emmisions thing hookd up on there my dad lives in cali and everything there vehicle wise has to have it so I would asssume that is what they are talking about ...

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
no power difference
all states get the catalyst
cali bikes get AIS and a charcoal canister.
Don't worry about it and just ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, guys i only wondered because the dyno on mine was lower then my friends 02 R1 by 2 hp? but it may because of being low mileage, i was suprised by it, because his was stock at 136 hp and i had a slip on and graves stack"s hit 134 ? but they told me also it was running very lean with the stacks.i havent gone back to try it with out them, plus i figured id wait till i have 3000 miles on it. It only has 1400 miles right now. i thought where its the california model it was why it had lower hp? And yes i had the stacks in the right way and on the 2 middle throttle bodies. i was dissapointed myself, after putting them on i thought i lost a little power,i left them in anyhow and dyno"d it brought it home took them out and thought i felt a power gain? i will say they did smooth out the power, but think by losing some. This is only my opinion on the stacks,no test have been done or anything to prove it. I just thought i felt a gain in hp taking them out and a few friends did also.

·
Old and slow.
176 Posts
Interesting. That seems kind of low for an 02.

Keeping in mind that every dyno reads differently, but my 49 state 99 R1 makes 134rwhp with only a slipon, not even rejetted...but that's on the dyno here in Sacramento.

The big thing is the dyno differences. Did your buddy have his bike tested on the same dyno as yours? If so, that leads me to believe that there is the possibility of a difference between CA and 49 state. My buddy just "de-Californianized" his 00 R6, we had to change cams, ignition box, jetting, and ignition trigger. We also removed the AIS, but I'm not sure if they all have that stuff or not. That's an awful lot of crap to change.

Then again, we are talking about an 02. I heard recently that most of the car manufacturers are building all new cars to CA emission specs, I just bought a truck from PA, and had it shipped to me in CA, its an 03 and has all the CA smog stuff. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is the case with the bikes now as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know its kinda late, i didnt know i got a reply. but yes we used the same dyno, i see sweedie asked if there was a difference in cam timing on the california model, i never undertsood the reply he got. but i would like to get it to be the way it should have been if it wasnt a calfornia model. unless it will result in problems and ill leave it be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts