Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took off the cams I noticed some of the lobes were more worn than the other. And some of the journals were scratched along with the camshaft caps. I havent been able to measure them yet but im thinking by the looks of them they need replacement. But my question is if I reaplce the camshafts and caps do I need to do anythign with the valves? Can I just put the new cams in and call it a day?

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
i don't think you cna order and replace the cam caps. i beleive they are line bored and then cut from the head casting.

·
Blue is best
787 Posts
Some "scratching" or wear is normal, after all the only thing separating the hard journal from the soft cam cap is a thin film of oil. I doubt very much the cam journals are worn to the point they need replacement unless the bike has a great many miles or has been ridden extremely hard (wheelies ad nauseum).

Wear on the cam lobes is ok too, you will see a shiny area where the lobe contacts the valve bucket. Nothing to be worried about.

If you're still concerned posts some pics and we can make a decision based on that.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, just wanted to make sure, ya there is the shinny areas on the journals but not all the way around it that is what worried me. Ya your right R1 buhda the caps come when you buy a new head. You cant buy new ones they are cut and bored from the head casting, just researched it. I will post some pics in a couple of hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts