Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats goin on R1 fam/ I have a quick question.Hopefully someone knows something about this. Is it possible to make an 04-06 motor work in 07-08 frame? Well my 08 just threw a rod and I was wondering if the 04-06 would work and if so what would I need to complete the process. I may have came across a good deal on the 04-06 motor vs 07-08 motor price wise. Just would like some info so If anyone knows about this get back at me thanks. Also will the 07-08 wiring work or is the 04-06 wiring be needed. Thanks for any adice

·
all im hearing is LETS GO!
689 Posts
Yes it is possible, you need a new harness or to rewire your current harness, ecu, to remove the Variable stacks and run fixed.
however the 07-08 does make a bit more power when unrestricted (not much), its got a slipper clutch as standard where the 04-06 does not.

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump Just want to make sure I don't need anything else to make the motor complete. If anyone has any information on the 04-06 motor as far as electronics to make it complete with placing it in an 07-08 frame. Feel free to drop alil knowledge

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
R1 pilot
930 Posts
I think somebody that did an 07-08 motor in on 04-06 had to swap exhaust too.

·
Ha! no you didnt!!
109 Posts
This is interesting, isn't it a totally different bike?? I thought it was? You'd need all the throttle assembly from the 5vy too no? As it went to fly by wire with yours (which I don't like personally)
Let us know if you do it!

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got a really good deal on an 04-06 motor w/harness an ecu. Not sure if all relays come with it. Anywho I see someone states exhaust change an another states velocity stacks(switch). Ok getting info from different sides of the fence..... lol

Sent from my ICS AOSP on imx6q using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bottom end is the same. You should be able to swap pistons and head and carry on.

This is from memory (used to work there), but I am just about certain that the cylinders are the same p/n (or was it dimensions?) from '06 to '07 MY.

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Desmo11 appreciatethe the info, another thing are the clutches interchangeable? Heck i'm sure i'll more questions.....thanks again

·
I hate these silly tag lines.
171 Posts
Clutches won't swap. The 07-08 input shaft was made longer to accomidate the slipper clutch (plates are the same). Exhaust port angle was also changed along with the exhaust system to route differently around the different swingarm, so also not compatible. Crank, cylinders, and cases will swap, rods were updated in 07 but are backwards compatible. Switching the FI from old (04-06) and (07-08) can be done but it is also a royal pain due to diffenent airbox heights and mounts and harness changes.

Almost forgot. The way the ECU's look at the camshaft position sensor also changed, the exhaust cam reluctor needs to be modified if you are going to change the FI version. So running 07-08 electronic on an 04-06 takes some work.

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So taking my 07-08 head an putting it on 04-06 block just to keep 07-08 exhaust is possible correct?

I still plan on running 04-06 ecu w/harness with electrics just to make sure it compatible with the motor. That way I can used the 04-06 FI system. Lmk what I'm may have missed!

·
I hate these silly tag lines.
171 Posts
So taking my 07-08 head an putting it on 04-06 block just to keep 07-08 exhaust is possible correct?
You will also need to swap the pistons 4 valve (head) vs. 5 (04-06 pistons).

I still plan on running 04-06 ecu w/harness with electrics just to make sure it compatible with the motor. That way I can used the 04-06 FI system. Lmk what I'm may have missed!
You will need to weld and re-cut the reluctor on the exhaust camshaft to work with the older FI system. And no the cams are not swappable, different journal sizes. 04-06 = 04-06 head, and FI, 07-08 = 07-08 head and FI.

Swap the pistons & head and keep the 07 electronics. If you want the slipper swap the input shaft and the clutch. Then you just fixed your 07.

You will also need to use the correct ignition rotor for whatever generation you go with.

·
2up2down
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks emry appreciate the knowledge bro......Dang it's alot more ish than I thought.....Well I guess i'll go back to plan A., an just rebuild the motor with the spare motor parts I have. I had everything to rebuild just was looking for an easier way around building my motor bk from the ground up. Again thanks for everyones input, I do appreciate it...

·
Registered
118 Posts
banginR1 i would back date the oil pump pick up and sump back to 04-06 as it carries more oil below the pick up as in 07/08 they modified it to accommodate the exhaust which is imo why they have big end failures if you are still running the std header pipes then you will need to update to either a race system or similar

·
Just Me.
334 Posts
Yes, it's possible with some work and creativity. Straight plug and play, naw, playa.

I understand having a down bike sucks. Mine was down for like 9 months or something with a destroyed motor, and it was horrible. I say be patient and save up the extra dollars to get the correct motor. You don't want to go from an outstanding 4 valves per cylinder design to 5 valves per cylinder not-as-fun design. Keep the 4 valve per cylinders. You'll thank me later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts