Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,413 Posts
:thumbup...on the brake pressure, you can do that right now. Just squeeze the crap out of the lever. That will be by far the max amount of pressure you can generate....Anything you use on the track will be less than that.

On the wheel speed, you can also do that on the stand. Put it in gear and let it idle in like 5th gear and look at the values, and match them to what the dash is showing for speed. That's how I did mine, and it worked great.

I will send you the curves tomorrow. You can open the ECU connector and solder a wire to the pin, thus not opening the wire to the elements. It works great.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
:thumbup...on the brake pressure, you can do that right now. Just squeeze the crap out of the lever. That will be by far the max amount of pressure you can generate....Anything you use on the track will be less than that.

On the wheel speed, you can also do that on the stand. Put it in gear and let it idle in like 5th gear and look at the values, and match them to what the dash is showing for speed. That's how I did mine, and it worked great.

I will send you the curves tomorrow. You can open the ECU connector and solder a wire to the pin, thus not opening the wire to the elements. It works great.
If I were to squeeze the brakes like that I have a feeling that on the track I'd only be dealing with about 0-25% of max... I'd like my max braking on track to be somewhat close to 100% indicated. Otherwise I could just use 2^16 as the max and not ever scale the values at all.

There rear stand idea is pretty good but I wonder how I'd calculate the front. In practice, the front and rear wheel speeds on the R1M should significant difference under different conditions. I think I'd rather count the teeth on the sensor rotor at each wheel and do a calculation with the measured loaded tire diameter to estimate the speed. I could log GPS as well and calibrate based on that.

Not a bad idea with the solder. That makes for a completely reversible splice. Got any pics? I'm curious as to how crammed the port into the connector looks with two wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi.

Have you found the O2 sensors yet, that would be a very interesting feature, to replace the sock ones with widebands

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BMWRSLO
167 Posts
Hi.

Have you found the O2 sensors yet, that would be a very interesting feature, to replace the sock ones with widebands

Peter

Wideband HO2S have a shorter life and are generally used to auto tune
and then removed after the tune has been mapped. No need to find their
signal on the buss, just plug them in with your auto tune setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi.

There is no problem with good wideband sensors. That has been standard for example all Volvo turbocharged cars since 1999, and most other European brands.

Instead of having extra external sensor for the logging, it would be nice to replace standard sensors and log them instead.
Nice to check on the track if you want to map yourself.

Peter

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi.

There is no problem with good wideband sensors. That has been standard for example all Volvo turbocharged cars since 1999, and most other European brands.

Instead of having extra external sensor for the logging, it would be nice to replace standard sensors and log them instead.
Nice to check on the track if you want to map yourself.

Peter

I'm quite certain the O2 sensor data is not broadcasted normally. Maybe it can be requested but I'd really need to get a hold of a service tool to figure that out. Either way, even if you replaced the narrow band sensors with wide band sensors you still need a controller online between the wideband sensor and the stock O2 sensor connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new forum member and new R1 owner (2016 model). I'm preparing for my first foray into track days and found this forum topic while searching for a way to do some data logging on my new baby. I also happen to have a background in electronics and programming and it just so happens I'm currently looking for a small project.

I'm very interested in SySt's efforts in decoding the CAN BUS messages on this bike. I've never worked with a CAN bus before, but I'm always willing to try something new.

I'd love to get my hands on some more detail about the messages, like the various codes/ID's/data encoding/formats for any of the various sensors SySt has already identified.

I'd also like to know what the pinout for the CAN BUS connector is, as well as a mating connector part number if that's known. I think I know where the connector is on the bike, but a picture pointing to it would also be useful.

Basically, I'd love to get as much detail as any one is willing to provide. Links are also welcome.

At the moment, my plan is to purchase this little gem. Basically, 3 CAN BUS interfaces, USB, and Bluetooth LE in a small package which includes a case and an open ended wiring harness, ready for 12V.

It appears some relatively simple Arduino programming along with the message formats/ID's would allow me to produce some firmware for the device and hook it up to RaceChronoPro on my phone, using the same data protocol used by RaceDAC and described by the RaceChrono developer here. My plan includes putting up the finished code on GitHub and sharing it with anyone else who needs a solution like this.

I'd like to design the software to be flexible enough to be useful for any CAN BUS vehicle and sensor, but I don't know enough about CAN BUS yet to know how feasible that is.

I also envision writing an Android app (something else new for me) and/or Windows app to use for configuration and such (also provided to the public in source form).

Please, can anyone provide more info?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
is your projec still in progress and what ist the current staus? could you send me the IDs of the different sensors?
I allready managed to identify some but not all.

kind regards, stefan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

I'm working on a kind of speedohealer for the R1-2017 (based on an Arduino micro). One the goals is to completely remove the genuine ABS Control Unit. We already try it on a bike equiped with a YEC ECU. All seems to be ok. Now, I want to put the system on a bike equiped with a genuine ECU. As I want to avoid alarm messages on the dash board, I'm looking for the messages sended on the CAN Bus by the AbS CU. Did you find something about that with your system. (I precise that I haven't direct access to a bike, so I'm obliged to find the information on the net...)

Thank you by advance

Dudule

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

I'm working on a kind of speedohealer for the R1-2017 (based on an Arduino micro). One the goals is to completely remove the genuine ABS Control Unit. We already try it on a bike equiped with a YEC ECU. All seems to be ok. Now, I want to put the system on a bike equiped with a genuine ECU. As I want to avoid alarm messages on the dash board, I'm looking for the messages sended on the CAN Bus by the AbS CU. Did you find something about that with your system. (I precise that I haven't direct access to a bike, so I'm obliged to find the information on the net...)

Thank you by advance

Dudule
Did you remove the ABS ecu or just the motor?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi

Thank you by advance

Dudule
The ABS module appears to send message IDs 60, 64 and 68. 60 contains brake pressure data, 64 contains wheel speed data and 68 appears to indicate what the brakes are doing (ABS active, rear brake applied, front brake applied). Have you monitored the CANbus yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ABS module appears to send message IDs 60, 64 and 68. 60 contains brake pressure data, 64 contains wheel speed data and 68 appears to indicate what the brakes are doing (ABS active, rear brake applied, front brake applied). Have you monitored the CANbus yet?
Hi Syst, many thank for your answer.
I haven't monitored the CAN Bus yet (I plan to used a couple of MCP2515/51 to do it). With the YEC ECU, the wheel speeds are sent on the BUS directly by the Engine Control Unit, the ABS CU is just used to convert the magneto-resistive wheel speed sensors. (the dash board still gives the wheel speed without ABS unit on line)

What I understand based on your data is that I need to emulate the break pressure (zero constant pressure) and "braking situation" status (constant --> no brake operating). But, what do you think about wheel speeds?

I will try to monitor the can bus soon. I'll give you a feedback.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi Syst, many thank for your answer.
I haven't monitored the CAN Bus yet (I plan to used a couple of MCP2515/51 to do it). With the YEC ECU, the wheel speeds are sent on the BUS directly by the Engine Control Unit, the ABS CU is just used to convert the magneto-resistive wheel speed sensors. (the dash board still gives the wheel speed without ABS unit on line)

What I understand based on your data is that I need to emulate the break pressure (zero constant pressure) and "braking situation" status (constant --> no brake operating). But, what do you think about wheel speeds?

I will try to monitor the can bus soon. I'll give you a feedback.

Thank you
I would speculate that the presence of those 3 messages on the bus is what informs the system that the ABS CU is present. I don't think any of the data in the messages is used for such purpose.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I need to correct myself here. The IDs are 260, 264 and 268 respectively. I should also note that these are the hex values. When I previously stated the IDs I was only accounting for 8 bits, not the full 11. I haven't really looked at this stuff for about a year but I'm at a spot in my project where I am testing everything out now.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
19 Participants
Bullone
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing