Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably catch some shit here, but oh well. As you can tell my chain is a lil rusty. Will a good chain cleaner and scrubbing fix it? I don't have $200 for a new chain and sprockets,now.
I have 12,000 miles on it. I need an oil change(synthetic) thats like $80. I need plugs done also. Im thinking about getting the smog plate and doing the airbox mod.
I have a spare room at my cell phone store, that a hvac guy wants as an office. Hopefully get him in by May, that's $250 a month. First rent check I'm doin it, so i have a plan lol. Don't flame too hard.

Attachments

· Ditch Digger
393 Posts
The exterior plates aren't really that important as long as they are still structurally sound - it's the condition of the rollers that's most important.

If the rollers are in good shape, I'd just soak in in some kerosene and scrub it, then lubricate it really well and see how it turns out.

· Banned
672 Posts
You wont get shit for asking a question, but a lot for neglecting your bike like that. :hammer:
I think is salvageable providing the chain is not worn out but considering the mileage it should be OK. As Hailwood suggested soak it up and lube well to make up for the neglect & check if there are any seized up links. If not, you got lucky this time.

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
:scared:scared:scared That's the worst chain I've seen on an R1. It must be in better shape than it looks because you can usually feel it when riding if the chain has frozen sections in it.

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,149 Posts
Just wire brush the side plates...it is just surface rust...then properly lubricate it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.