Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Keep it between 10k and 15k
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure the answer is no. Today I was out riding with a buddy and I did some lane splitting. When I came to a stoplight a guy in a soccer van honks and shows me his wallet with badge and ID. Says he wrote down my tag number and he's gonna send me a citation in the mail. I was cool and said sorry bout that and took off at the green. He never saw my driver's license, never wrote me a ticket, I didn't sign anything. For all he knows the registered owner wasn't the one on the bike. I think he was just trying to scare me into driving safer. He was pretty mad :rant and if he could have given me a ticket, he would have. :dunno

·
Bulldogger
5,874 Posts
Doubtful at best.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Here in Iowa where I used to be a cop.....yes they can write tickets 24/7 but they have to be willing to go to court if you fight it and back it up.

I was also a volunteer firefighter/ambulance driver in that town and many times when I was driving for ambulance if a driver would not pull over and let us by I would have the other passenger wrtie the tag down and mail it to them.

·
I feel the need for speed
764 Posts
actually he can but most likely will not cause its a pain in the butt to follow up with. Most states will allow both an off duty ofc. or even a citizen to take you to court over the violation BUT as the officer or (citizen) would have to go to your local county attorney and file a complaint with him. If the county attorney decides to go ahead with the complaint he would then issue a summons for you (the violator) to appear in court reference what ever it is they said you did. Then you show up to court contest the charge the judge gives you antoher court date and then supeno's the complainant for both of you to go to court.

Like I said its a pain and a waste of time, Its easier to threaten you with the idea of it and hope you drive away a little safer.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
look up solidus thread he wrote somebody like 4 or 5 tickets to suspend there license search rav4 and solidus you might find it but yes they can writ eyou a ticket

·
I feel the need for speed
764 Posts
even if he did not get your operator's lic. (depending on type of lic. if digital photo with mag stripe on back.) you can run the vehicle tag to get owners info. then run the owners SSN to get the OL#. At the DMV or place where you get your OL they can run the number and pull the photo on the computer sceen. If the ofc. says the photo matches you then he states the complaint process listed above.

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
lawman118 said:
even if he did not get your operator's lic. (depending on type of lic. if digital photo with mag stripe on back.) you can run the vehicle tag to get owners info. then run the owners SSN to get the OL#. At the DMV or place where you get your OL they can run the number and pull the photo on the computer sceen. If the ofc. says the photo matches you then he states the complaint process listed above.

And that is why you always wear a full-face helmet.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
He most certainly can. I had a horrible experience with an off-duty cop who first attempted to run my 7 riding buddies and I off a mountain road and then issued us citations for literally everything in the book(speeding, reckless, double yellow, expedition of my speed, evading arrest...). He had his buddies stop us halfway down the mountain and write us all tickets with him as the issuing officer because he was off-duty and did not even have his badge on him(even though he said he showed it to us and we ran). We hired a high-priced lawyer who completely owned the a$$hole in court; all charges were dropped and then he almost managed to get the guy fired. If you are ever riding HWY 74 watch out for a guy with a crew-cut who hates sportbikes and likes to use his suburban as a weapon.

·
Keep it between 10k and 15k
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
lawman118 said:
Damn I had jeans, Jacket, gloves, tinted visor and like a dumb ass I raised it for a few seconds and made eye contact.
In any event, he has no proof that it was me or that I did anything illegal, there was no scene or witnesses. So it would be his word against mine. If it came down to it, getting a lawyer would most likely get me out of it because there is no solid case and plenty of reasonable doubt.

·
let me see your hands
39 Posts
Man, I had to sit through over 1100 hours of class to be able to get my peace officers license, and every time someone out there seems to know my job better than I do. It depends on your state, in Texas a peace officer off duty has a right to get involved if they see a felony in progress. Be a good idea he has his piece and badge with him. Also, if he witnesses a crime and files a report all he has to do is go to court. Just like John Q citizen himself. You want to file a charge of reckless driving call a officer and file a report, you get called in to court just like the person you charged and they get their day in court.

·
let me see your hands
39 Posts
But let me be clear you guys are right no I.D. hell it could be anyone on that bike beside the owner. I love being a cop and I love bikes. I have rode with dumb jackass riders before. Both jackass cops and just regular jackass citizen. Some doing wheelies at 100 mph. Now me and my buddies don't ride with these fools but I've seen it. I've also been harrassed by a State Trooper who didn't know that he 23 bikes he was about to put a foot in their a#$ were all cops. He's no longer on the street from what I've been told he now sits in a drivers license office and helps take pictures. So what comes around goes around. Be safe out there guys!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.