Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone explain me how to change gear without clutching. Im just curious on how it works and stuff. Whats the point of it? i can see the point when wheelie-ing, but every day use? Can sum1 clear it up for me? Thanks

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
It's simple, when you're getting close to your shift point very quickly blip up with the throttle at the same time as you apply upward pressure to the shift lever. The shifter will snick to the next gear and you get back into the throttle. This all happens in about a second. It can be done at reasonable speeds and RPM's just dont get ridiculous and try it at 10mph in a parking lot. Also try not to do it for downshifting. Again.........

1) while on the power place slight pressure against the shifter
2) blip the throttle while applying a bit more pressure on the shifter
3) shifter should snick into next higher gear
4) get back into throttle.

...... all in a split second.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Solidus said:
It's simple, when you're getting close to your shift point very quickly blip up with the throttle at the same time as you apply upward pressure to the shift lever. The shifter will snick to the next gear and you get back into the throttle. This all happens in about a second. It can be done at reasonable speeds and RPM's just dont get ridiculous and try it at 10mph in a parking lot. Also try not to do it for downshifting. Again.........

:fact :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R1ForumUser said:
Maybe I can help. Save your the gear box and use the clutch. It's there for a reason. :yesnod
Does it **** up the gearbox so bad then?

·
Elmo Likes Motorcycles
163 Posts
I dont' believe i've heard of anyone messing up their tranny or anything because of clutchless shifting. You do want to use the clutch to downshift.

I'm not sure if the above description is what i do. Basically put pressure on the shift lever....slightly roll off throttle and the lever will automatically go into the next gear, roll back on the throttle.

Danny

·
It's all about Attitude
192 Posts
Solidus said:

The deal is what does the clutch do? It unloads the trans so the gears will move. That is what a dip of the throttle does, It unloads the trans. Not only does this work on up shifts but it works exactly the same for down shifts. The only difference is instead of dipping the throttle you blip it. The timing of the shift is very important, We are talking in the tenths of a second.
Putting pressure on the shifter when the power is on is a great way to burn the shift forks, it's not a bearing and will heat up instantly.
I have been using this technique for years on several bikes and have not damaged a trans from doing it.
Will

·
Kitty kitty... RRRR
1,712 Posts
Balistic said:
Putting pressure on the shifter when the power is on is a great way to burn the shift forks, it's not a bearing and will heat up instantly.
I have been using this technique for years on several bikes and have not damaged a trans from doing it.
Will
Well, when you practice that, you definately don't start very smoothly.. And on 150-hp-powered bikes, "dirty" shifing when you hit the power because of being not in the exact RPM for switching, is like hitting sprockets in the tranny with a hammer. How long will they last? I don't think too long...

·
It's all about Attitude
192 Posts
Jack_R1 said:
Well, when you practice that, you definately don't start very smoothly.. And on 150-hp-powered bikes, "dirty" shifing when you hit the power because of being not in the exact RPM for switching, is like hitting sprockets in the tranny with a hammer. How long will they last? I don't think too long...

OK it sounds like I left out a very important piece of data. If you are not expert at shifting with the clutch you shouldn't attempt to shift without it. But if you can use it and do fast shifts ( a couple tenth's of a second) smoothly you are at a skill level to try it without the clutch. And as for down shifting without it, You need to be completely Comfortable with all your skills before attempting it. Mainly because if you miss a gear you still have to turn and brake, or crash.
Will

·
Kitty kitty... RRRR
1,712 Posts
Oh - by the way - Balistic, thank you very much for your remark (regarding shift forks wear) - I just re-read it and something suddenly made sense to me. When I got my 2nd hand R1, the 5th gear was disengaging under engine braking.. It was because the aforementioned fork was worn out. I was told by the owner it's a common issue, but now I think I know why it really happened..

It's good I changed a gearbox instead of fixing it (it was not only a worn out fork problem, I even started a thread in Mechanic/Help) - hell knows what abuse it has seen..

:boom

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
Hi Will..............What do you think of using quick shifters on the track, such as techtronics or other types of auto shifters?......thanks, Larry

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
perfect answer get an air shifter

·
WUZ-UP !
4,367 Posts
Balistic said:
The deal is what does the clutch do? It unloads the trans so the gears will move. That is what a dip of the throttle does, It unloads the trans. Not only does this work on up shifts but it works exactly the same for down shifts. The only difference is instead of dipping the throttle you blip it. The timing of the shift is very important, We are talking in the tenths of a second.
Will
I was going to write a long winded answer but Balistic beat me to it, and good job I may add !
P.S. you need to feel when the trany is floating.Now for down shifts........use a clutch ! Broken parts suck ! :dollar

·
It's all about Attitude
192 Posts
ducatiwv said:
Hi Will..............What do you think of using quick shifters on the track, such as techtronics or other types of auto shifters?......thanks, Larry
HI larry
I have heard people talk about them many times and I do agree that they cut time from shifting and therefore cut lap times. I however am old school and lazy, I am not going to use one because I don't like what happened in Drag racing and RC racing with the electronic controls. It takes away from a riding skill, one I have mastered and think is part of it. What if the it fails? Can you suddenly go back to doing it right after being made lazy and not thinking about it for a time? The other reason is I don't want to have another thing to work on, adjust, worry about. I don't get to race much and I don't have time to do bike prep like some guys do.
Will

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
Thanks Will.....I was just wondering about the auto shifting, to my knowledge and I may be wrong, I haven't heard of any factory teams using them, and was wondering the reasoning behind this. They tend to make shifting much easier under full throttle , and one would think it would lower lap times... But I understand what you are saying and to be honest, they do take some time to get used to, plus there is always a chance of them failing and cutting the ignition.......Larry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts