Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LoneRone
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hellobye Hey fellas, just wanted to know how many of you guys do the whole nine with your bikes when you winterized them, i.e. pulling plugs and putting oil in the cylinders then putting the bike in top gear and spin the rear tire to coat the cylinders with oil?? I read Motoman's suggestions as well as a lot of fellow forum members suggestions and just wanted to know what you all thought? Also will that small amount of oil be able to foul my plugs when I get ready to ride again? Thanks everyone!!

Joe

·
^I wish I was that pocketbike!
2,867 Posts
well I don't do anything with my plugs.. I just get the oil & filter changed, make sure there is a full, fresh tank of gas in there, add the fuel stabilizer (run the engine for about 5-10 minutes to make sure it gets circulated properly), and then take the battery out. The bike then goes on stands and into winter hibernation. I have done this for years with each and every one of my bikes and have never once had problems with running them again once the riding season starts, including this year. And right after I start them back up for the new season the first thing I do is change the oil and filter again, and then :riding !!!! :jump :rock

·
LoneRone
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the exact same way that I did mine last winter Mega, Just about to take mine off the stands and change the oil and fire her up for the first time this season, Hey Mega what do you use for oil and filters? I was thinking about going with amsoil 10-40 and an amsoil filter but my local dealer doesnt carry it. Later bro

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Actually, the oil in the cylinders is a good idea, and you should do it the day you are going to BEGIn rideing the bike again. Just put a little down there and rotate the crank to lubricate the cylinders before you fire it up after sitting all winter.
And if you only use a little, you shouldn't need to worry about fouling the plugs.
I've done it for 15 years with no adverse affects on any bike.

·
LoneRone
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I only used a teaspoon like it recommends in the owners manual, thanks for the good advice as usual Buhda:thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts