Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a while now and the answer seems to be a mystery. I might have someone on the inside of Penske who might be able to hook me up with a shock cheap. I just need to give him a specific model (he knows nothing about bikes). I am planning on getting the 8981, which I believe is the double clicker (don't really need the expensive triple for street riding).

I am 6'2" 215lbs on an '04 which tends to see aggressive street riding in the Poconos. I checked the race tech program and got an answer of 9.15kg/mm but I don't believe Penske rates their springs that way. It seems that the members here talk about lbs, roughly in the 500-600 range.
Can someone please enlighten me soon because I need to get this info to him before he has a meeting with the vp of the race division.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
:dunno sorry bro. try searching. you might be able to find what you need.

·
Local Pavement Ripper
1,669 Posts
Unfortunatly for both of us, I can't find my preload adjusting rod to get my spring turned. I should have the same spring that you need. I would email [email protected] and ask them, or any of their service centers.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
totally off topic, but having never spent one dollar with traxxion and having called them twice now, I find their customer service to be extremely good.

I called them some time agao and explained that i was rebuilding a customers forks that had been built by them, and was trying to find the oil weight and oil capacity info so i could do an accurate job for my customer.

Now usually I get the your not spending money with us attitude, and get no real information.

traxxion was super helpful though going through some trouble to get me the information i needed, and more importantly making sure I had everything I needed to do a good job with my customer.

If I ever have the money to get a Penske for my bike, i will 100% for sure be ordering it through them.

·
Local Pavement Ripper
1,669 Posts
Thanks guys! I emailed Mike and he told me I needed to go with either a 575lb or 600lb spring.
That's good news. I think they're the kind of guys that want to do suspension right, and are willing to help you whether or not you bought something from them. Because as most people are these days, if they get good support from somebody, they will return. +1 for Traxxion.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
Thanks guys! I emailed Mike and he told me I needed to go with either a 575lb or 600lb spring.
Wow! I used a 550 on my FZR and I weigh more than you. Double check if you can. Measure twice, cut once...

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
He asked me what bike I had, what weight I was, and where do I ride. Maybe it has to do with the weight of the bike. Is there a large difference between them?
Oh yeah. A lot of difference, and the R1 swingarm is longer. Could contribute. Still trying to find a spring conversion chart or something to see if it helps. I'll post up if I find one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.